Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    E
    E
    The brightest students not only fall behind, but often reach the bottom in society. Few actually see it let alone have awareness. These people are often consumed by depression and all else that comes with it which leads to poor methods of self medicating it, if not worse.

True gifted students are never seen as gifted by the institutions they attend nor by the peers who surround them. They are often bullied by their peers for having views, social skills, ect outside the norm becoming quiet, shy and withdrawn. They have little interest in the work even if they can do it to satisfaction. They know the work is neither mentally stimulating nor is it of any practical use. Such students become withdrawn, disconnected or hyper active. Teachers only see the byproduct of underachievement, not the cause. These student are often medicated (for parent who don't know better) or placed in special education where everything responsible for their underachievement becomes far more intense. These students are often placed with other low achievers who also poses behavioral problems such as bullying. Some students are even sent to special out-of-district schools for behavioral or learning disabled students which are nothing more than legalized child abuse run by convicts with no oversight. I know because I've seen it first hand. Gifted individuals have absolutely no place in public education unless a radical paradigm shift happens which I don't see happening any time soon.

Our fundamental view of education is wrong. Our fundamental understanding achievement is wrong. Our understanding of cognition is wrong. Our understanding of learning is wrong. Our understanding of talent and its nurture it wrong. Our understanding regarding the etiology of human behavior is wrong. And certainly our understanding of trauma on the brain and human development is millennia behind.

In regards to public education educators are neither trained in identifying gifted students nor are they legally required to provide an education that suits gifted learners in most states. And even when they are, how do they gauge what is appropriate?

The damages has been done and continues to be done out of pure assumptions.

I
    I
    Edward, I'm sorry for your painful experiences. I hope it is somewhat healing to have the support, understanding, and validation of the members of this Davidson Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

The Davidsons began the Institute for Talent Development specifically due to recognizing that the gifted population was underserved.

Originally Posted by Edward
    The brightest students not only fall behind, but often reach the bottom in society... They know the work is neither mentally stimulating nor is it of any practical use.
    Much of what you've observed is also reported by research, including this article, recently posted to another thread.

Parents and experts in the field continue to advocate for change. Meanwhile I would tend to agree with you that the public schools may not be the best placement for gifted students, when other learning environment options are available. There are several old threads which discuss experiences with public schools, including:
    - How do you feel about the public school system? (Oct 2013)
    - Public v. Private (Dec 2013)
    - Ped told my dd public school not working! (Jan 2014)
    - Who is better IDed in public school? (March 2014)
    - What questions should I ask a new public school? (March 2014)
    - Success Stories of HG+ in Public Schools? (March 2014)
    Parents may often default to public schools out of financial necessity and/or to obtain special ed services such as remediation and accommodation when their child has been evaluated as being "2e" (twice exceptional: gifted and also having a learning disability).

Some may say the most important point in the OP's article is:
    Originally Posted by Op's article
    Unsurprisingly we found that culture, values and attitudes matter a great deal.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Edward, I'm sorry for your painful experiences. I hope it is somewhat healing to have the support, understanding, and validation of the members of this Davidson Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

The Davidsons began the Institute for Talent Development specifically due to recognizing that the gifted population was underserved.

Originally Posted by Edward
    The brightest students not only fall behind, but often reach the bottom in society... They know the work is neither mentally stimulating nor is it of any practical use.
    Much of what you've observed is also reported by research, including this article, recently posted to another thread.

Parents and experts in the field continue to advocate for change. Meanwhile I would tend to agree with you that the public schools may not be the best placement for gifted students, when other learning environment options are available. There are several old threads which discuss experiences with public schools, including:
    - How do you feel about the public school system? (Oct 2013)
    - Public v. Private (Dec 2013)
    - Ped told my dd public school not working! (Jan 2014)
    - Who is better IDed in public school? (March 2014)
    - What questions should I ask a new public school? (March 2014)
    - Success Stories of HG+ in Public Schools? (March 2014)
    Parents may often default to public schools out of financial necessity and/or to obtain special ed services such as remediation and accommodation when their child has been evaluated as being "2e" (twice exceptional: gifted and also having a learning disability).

Some may say the most important point in the OP's article is:
    Originally Posted by Op's article
    Unsurprisingly we found that culture, values and attitudes matter a great deal.

Thank you for your support smile Ditto for the links. It matters far more then I can type here.

I applaud what you are doing as well as the Davidson Institute. IMO what those links make note of is not rare, but frequent. As mentioned I regret to say not everyone can afford private education nor attorney services to construct a relatively appropriate educational environment through the public school system. Therefore, recognition is key imo. Even then, not all private schools are equal.

And I agree 100%. Attitudes, Culture and values do indeed go furthest above all else.

Last edited by Edward; 05/03/16 12:46 PM.
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM