Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #230003 04/29/16 08:08 PM
    H
    howdy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    How do you start homeschooling in middle school. We haven't quite given up on b&m school, but...

Any idea on where to begin to even consider if it would work?
    How much does it cost, ballpark?
    Are homeschool co-ops common and do you need to find a gifted specific one?
    How do you handle the classes that are not in your area of training?
    Would any online schools work?

What other questions should I even be asking?

Thanks in advance.

I
    I
    This old thread Debating home school vs virtual school may be of interest.

Gifted Homeschooler's Forum (GHF) is a great resource.

H
    howdy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Thanks for the replies.

Other questions - what do you want your school to look like? What is the intent (to give more time? to go deeper into topics? to pursue interests?) These will lead you to how your school looks. Some states require some virtual checkins or curriculum/reporting requirements. This will limit your choices to a degree.

I think our intent would be #1, to get away from a toxic social environment, #2, teach at the level of my child instead of grade level, same for pace of learning, and #3, hopefully have a shorter school day for core subjects so that one's own interests could be pursued, and #4, have flexibility for exercise, trips, etc.

I need to start looking into the state regulations.

I would really be interested in personal experiences if anyone has started homeschooling after elementary school. Thanks.

A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    We started homeschooling one of our children in middle school, and have continued. How your home school looks is highly individual. It will depend on the needs of your child and your family, as well as the resources available in your community. For secondary-level coursework (i.e., high school transcript credits and above), state regs make a huge difference. In some states, a home school transcript will be adequate for meeting state uni entrance requirements. In others, it will be much more challenging to meet those requirements without some external validation, such as standardized testing, accredited online coursework, etc. The state regs are definitely where you need to start, as well as any homeschool organizations in your area.

Until we need to obtain high school transcript credit, we have been fairly relaxed about curricula. All of our children are on somewhat freerunning plans, at their respective instructional levels by individual subject areas, with curricula selected based on the child and the subject. We've also abandoned curricula mid-way, when it became clear that it wasn't suited to this particular child, and modify curricula as needed. In particular, I generally de-couple basic skills from reasoning, use accommodations and technology to support both 2e and asynchrony, and try to avoid getting bogged down by busy work. For example, there is value in achieving mastery and automaticity with certain basic skills (math facts, handwriting, spelling, reading), but lack of fluency in those areas shouldn't prevent a child from progressing in their reasoning and comprehension skills, if that is what they are capable of. So I have them work on any lagging basic skills in shorter, focused skill sessions, and accommodate for those delays when the instructional objective is a higher-level reasoning task. Practically speaking, this looks like a lot of oral or scribed work, using speech-to-text/text-to-speech for certain children, and modifying English assignments so that, while the literature selections are at reading level, the written responses can be at a different writing level, if needed.

I also tend to steer away from comprehensive packaged curricula, mainly because I find them too rigid. Each child has areas that are stronger than others, so I would end up having to buy multiple levels for a single child, which seems like a waste of resources.

If you have a strong and motivated reader, one approach may be to set your child loose on a a great books reading list, for ELA and history. Assign daily or weekly reading response journals, paragraphs, or essays. Or assign an oral response essay (i.e., have them tell you about what they read that day, and their thoughts or feelings on it). I know of families who have their child write a daily email to a family member (working parent, grandparent, uncle/aunt) about their day's reading.

Cost is also highly individual. The most expensive is probably if you buy a comprehensive curriculum, especially as you may need more than one per school year, either because of pacing or differing instructional levels for content areas. Depending on how you handle ELA and History/SS, you could potentially pay only for stationery and office supplies, as many good reading lists are available for free online, and the great books lists are almost always available through your local library, or interlibrary loan. (Plus many are free ebooks on gutenberg or similar projects.)

There are a couple of free or low-cost options for mathematics. You can get a fair amount out of Khan Academy, there are OCW courses, and there are even a few sites like this: http://teachers.henrico.k12.va.us/math/hcpsalgebra1/modules.html which includes everything except for the textbook for a complete algebra 1 class (there are a few other courses on the parent website). Eureka Math is a complete, research-based, K-12 math curriculum of free pdfs: http://greatminds.net/maps/math/home. No textbook.

Science classes require a little more work, because of the lab materials. We've done book work at home, and labs through homeschool coops. We've also contemplated attending single courses at local public or private schools (both options are available to us where we live; you will have to investigate your area), at no cost in the public, and for a course fee at the private.

That being said, I do actually buy curricula. At your child's age, it's been literature-based history/ss (integrating ELA), math, and science. As my oldest was not in high school at the beginning of homeschooling, some of those curriculum costs (except for a small amount for consumables) are amortized over the rest of the family. I probably spent about $500-600 on my oldest this past year, but that includes the cost of switching history curricula midway, and curricula for two courses in science, including one lab kit.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    H
    howdy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Thank you aeh. Several things you wrote are very helpful. The Algebra 1 links would be perfect and I do have a highly motivated reader, so a book list could work well. We have a decent library system with inter-library loans, etc.

Thank you for sharing how much your curriculum cost this year, that is a manageable amount.

May I ask another question? Once you had decided that you would have the ability to homeschool, how did you approach it with your child? Were they excited to do so or might they have had misgivings about leaving the school system?

A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    We are very open with our children about the strengths and weaknesses of each option. For that child, it was clear that the schools then available to us would not be able to accommodate instructional needs, in particular, in math. This is our highly social child, so we did have some concerns about leaving friends, and social resources, but at this age, our DC understood and articulated for us that the balance of benefit fell on the side of homeschooling at that time. I wouldn't say it was excitement, exactly, as we weren't dealing with actual unhappiness at school, but there was thoughtful consent.

This DC is also quite easy-going and adaptable, and very good at creating social connections in a variety of contexts, so that definitely made the transition easier. We also were proactive about facilitating the maintenance of friendships from the old school.

I would certainly encourage including your DC in the discussion, as you approach an actual decision. If you or she are on the fence, I would echo the suggestion above to use part of the summer as a trial period. And if you do take the plunge for a more extended period of time, don't be afraid to allow her a month or so of deschooling time, where you might not do anything more than hand her a book list. Especially where one of your reasons for leaving the b&m school is a toxic social environment. She may need some time to recover and refresh herself.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    H
    howdy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Thanks, I appreciate the sharing of experiences.

In the meanwhile we are working on figuring out the laws and trying to find a support group in our state.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM