Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    M
    mom2R&R Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Indigo- thank you so much for reminding me of this; the cost of not accelerating and matching the program to my child. I know this is true, but I also get caught up in how difficult/complicated the acceleration may be in the future and I start to second guess myself. Thanks!

M
    mom2R&R Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    playandlearn- I'm glad to hear that your DD is loving the online learning. I love to hear success stories! It's great that you're also trying to protect her time for practicing music in the future. We've already started mentioning to our DS6 that he might love math and science now, but it's also ok to change your favorite subject and want to focus on something else.

M
    mom2R&R Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by Portia
    Originally Posted by mom2R&R
    Portia- I was just looking at the pre-algebra course through AoPS. It may be an option for us in 4th grade, rather than going to middle school. Did you do both parts over the course of one school year? How did the course work for you?

We did both parts over the course of 1 year. The online class is all typing, so I taught it at home. This year, we will try the online class for Alg 1. I found a good rule of thumb for us was 5 sections a week. Most chapters are the 5 sections, but some were a bit longer, so we took 2 weeks for those chapters. By doing it at home, the course is not accredited, but it was an excellent introduction to the way the course is taught and we had a bit more flexibility. We had a bit of an adjustment period at first, but I have not seen anything of the caliber math in any other textbook. DS also has a math mentor at our local university who also recommended AoPS.

I think if we were homeschooling we would do the same, but so far that is not our plan, so I would need the accreditation of the online version.

J
    J
    My son in 7th grade is accelerated two years in math. He's taking Algebra I and acing it. Through the public school, he will take Calculus AB and BC in high school.
    However, I expect he will skip Pre-Calculus in high school, which would make him 3 years accelerated in math. He could then in high school take AP Stats, AP Calc AB and AP Calc BC.

Our dd is grade accelerated one year (now in 6th) and she does the Algebra I class with the 8th graders. She will do honours Geometry next year and be bused to the regional high school to do it.

She did the AoPS Alg I class over a year ago and finds the school one way less demanding. Given our druthers you would just so AoPS at home but so far the district hasn't bought into that (yet).

I don't care about graduating high school as I understand that colleges do not require it.

YMMV

Become what you are
    L
    L
    Geofizz- Yes, algebra would go on his high school transcript, but apparently a new rule says that must take 4 years of math in high school as well. I'm still unclear about these details and who knows, it could change in the next 8 years before he's in high school.

If it is anything like our state, we're required to have 3 years of math (6 credits) in high school (9-12), being sequential with a minimum of Algebra II. This means you could accelerate and take Algebra II in 8th grade, which counts toward the state standards minimums, but then still must take 3 years of math during HS for a diploma. Ours won't count the earlier HS-level classes toward HS transcript.

M
    mom2R&R Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by longcut
    Geofizz- Yes, algebra would go on his high school transcript, but apparently a new rule says that must take 4 years of math in high school as well. I'm still unclear about these details and who knows, it could change in the next 8 years before he's in high school.

If it is anything like our state, we're required to have 3 years of math (6 credits) in high school (9-12), being sequential with a minimum of Algebra II. This means you could accelerate and take Algebra II in 8th grade, which counts toward the state standards minimums, but then still must take 3 years of math during HS for a diploma. Ours won't count the earlier HS-level classes toward HS transcript.

Yes, long cut, it seems that is how our state is moving as well, except they require 4 years. You used to be exempt from the 4-year-requirements if you passed calculus, but now they specify,
    "NEW STATE REQUIREMENT FOR STUDENTS GRADUATING IN 2018 AND LATER:
    Students graduating in 2018 and later must be enrolled in a math course each year in grades 9 through 12. This may result in students earning more than 4 credits in math for graduation."

U
    U
    I would personally not want to send a 4th-grader to a middle school for math. JMO. 5th grade, okay.

M
    mom2R&R Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by Portia
    Yes, long cut, it seems that is how our state is moving as well, except they require 4 years. You used to be exempt from the 4-year-requirements if you passed calculus, but now they specify,
    "NEW STATE REQUIREMENT FOR STUDENTS GRADUATING IN 2018 AND LATER:
    Students graduating in 2018 and later must be enrolled in a math course each year in grades 9 through 12. This may result in students earning more than 4 credits in math for graduation."

How does the school suggest to resolve the problem of finishing all math prior to 12th grade?

Well, at the magnet science/math high school they offer Calc, BC Calc, functions, analysis, linear algebra, AP Statistics, vector calculus, complex variables... etc. I don't even know what some of those classes are, but I guess their point is they offer enough for him to keep taking math.

P
    P
    Does he excel in other classes, too?

If so, you should think about grade skipping.

Busing to middle school for 2 years will disrupt a lot of classes. My DD skipped kinder and took the State tests (6th, 7th and 8th grades Math) after 5th grade to do Algebra 1 in 6th grade. So, she did not have to bus to middle school. She still need to bus to HS for Algebra 2 next year. She will have 2 other kids from the same MS going with her otherwise we would not go for it.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM