Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 305 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Kriston #22984 08/16/08 09:03 AM
    acs Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    Oooh! I like that, acs! Testing as a teachable moment! laugh

Good on ya'! smile

blush Well, I'm not sure I get that much credit.

Basically, DS was so very curious about the test and how it worked that it would have taken a great deal of work on my part to prevent him from knowing his scores! So I probably just took the lazy way out. grin Either way, though, I haven't seen any harm from going that route and, if anything, I would argue that there has been some benefit.

DS, is an only child, though, so the family dynamics are definitely different.

Kriston #22985 08/16/08 09:06 AM
    guess I am confused about what is seen as the benefit of withholding scores from a person. It seems like keeping them secret somehow creates the sense that they are to be ashamed of.

I think the common reasoning is that a high number may place undue pressure/expectation on the child. A lower score may undermine what the child is ulimately capable of.

I know if I would have told DD6 at not yet 5, she would have gone around telling everyone!

The age of 10 seems more reasonable. The girls know they are "very intelligent" and know they are far ahead of GE. They are also aware that they learn faster than most and it's all presented to them in a way that it's totally normal for them to be that way.

I could see talking LOG with them at a later date, if the need arises. Not sure I would tell them their actual number unless I had a compelling reason.

incogneato #22986 08/16/08 09:16 AM
    I suspect this is a good example of following the child's lead. acs's son was curious. Was it worthwhile to keep the number from him? I agree with acs: no. What would be gained by keeping it from him? Making the number a secret is not helping him, and I agree that it might hurt him.

But DS7 never asked about his score. Should I tell him what it was? No. Why would I? If he needed that info, he'd ask. There, too, I'm following his lead.

I suspect that's the key: if they ask, tell them, but put it in context as completely as you can. It's not a 30-second conversation, it's a 30-minute one!

Kriston
    Kriston #22988 08/16/08 11:23 AM
    I haven't told my kids anything about their scores or even that there ARE scores. But I don't think my mom did me any harm telling me my score when I was a kid. I was older than my own kids are now, though.

Cathy A #22993 08/16/08 01:40 PM
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    It's not to keep it from them--I generally am not a believer in that. It's the sibling issue. All 4 tested into PEGS, so they all know they're > 3 stnd dev. We have talked about how the numbers don't mean as much as what they do with it (because one little girl in the class kept bragging and acting so superior and it really ticked me off because I didn't want them thinking they are superior--as a person--to anyone else because of IQ.

Boys seem more competitive than I was with my sisters. I always wanted my little sister to do better in school, score higher, have it easier. Not necessarily so for my boys. I just don't need to feed that, but perhaps in high school I'll offer to show their report.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM