Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 100 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #229723 04/20/16 08:11 PM
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    DS17 has been diagnosed with Social Anxiety Disorder and perfectionism (and thank you to HowlerKarma for the phrase "socially prescribed perfectionism"). He does not have depression. This past year we started through the SpEd process at school (he is a junior...better late than never?), and they will be evaluating him over the next few weeks. (He's a bit of a conundrum: 5 on an AP, C- in the class, 35 on the English portion of the ACT, F in honors English--38% as of today! due to not turning in any essays) In the meantime, the school social worker and DS's psychologist suggested medication for the anxiety. A friend's child had been helped enormously by his psychiatrist, so we saw him. He spoke with DS' psychologist before our appointment. After a long session and conversation with DS, he gave a prescription for Zoloft. We are hesitant, as you might imagine. Yes, we went to consider it, but still...

In the course of the conversation the doctor mentioned hypnosis. Really, he only threw it in to the conversation with DS as an aside, but I was intrigued. We talked about it for a moment, and then they went on with their conversation. The next day the doctor called me to talk about a few things, and we talked about hypnosis again. He does do hypnosis. He said he would talk to our psychologist again.

Has anyone had success with hypnosis for anxiety? What are some questions I should ask about it, and what types of answers should I look for? Is it appropriate for a teen? A better choice than Zoloft? There are so many possible side effects with the medication. What could happen with hypnosis?

Last edited by NotherBen; 04/21/16 04:18 PM. Reason: Clarification of pronouns
    O
    O
    I cannot answer your question specifically regarding an anxiety disorder and psychologist-driven hypnosis. However, I had learned self-hypnosis for pain control several years ago, and have found myself using it in situations where I get panicky (like a turbulent flight). I think self-hypnosis can be a very useful tool for anxiety, that may be complementary to other approaches. There is also something sort of empowering about having a tool you can control to manage things that make you feel less empowered, like pain and anxiety.

And if it makes you feel any better, I have a friend who is a tenured professor now who once told me "In high school, I only got As or Fs. Nothing in between. I drove my parents and teachers crazy."

B
    B
    We almost went the medication route last year. We didn't because things seemed to just get better by the end of the year. But I'd basically made the decision to go that route but things got better before I got an appointment with the psychiatrist. My son does still see a psychologist who specializes in gifted kids for his anxiety & depression.

Don't have any idea if hypnosis would help, I'd personally be skeptical. But honestly I don't know anything about it. I do know my son was helped with the anxiety when he was 12/13 by talking with a psychologist who helped teach him ways to handle his stress.

Good Luck. I feel for you. My kid just turned in an important essay 1 minute late, to loose 10% off his grade. URGGG... And is still getting much better in his AP classes than regular ones.

N
    OP Offline
    N
    Ocelot, thank you. I have heard similar success stories for using hypnosis for very focused purposes: pain management, habit-change, and anxiety prompted by a specific event, such as a test or performance. And stories of people who got the full range of grades makes me hopeful for DS's future!

Bluemagic, thank you. psychiatrists in our area have a long wait time for a first appt, so I had made the appt a few months ago, hoping things would improve and we could cancel it. I think I will try to switch to a highly-recommended (on this site, even) psychologist a few towns away who specializes in gifted kids. I understand this person has a year-long wait for new patients, though.

That "10% off" thing drives me crazy, the policy as well as kids' not realizing that that 10% is the easiest points of the essay. DS has an accommodation of no late points, but the work eventually does have to be turned in. Having trouble with that, too. He can also turn in a rough draft of any written assignment before a final draft. Yep, having trouble with that, too.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by NotherBen
    That "10% off" thing drives me crazy, the policy as well as kids' not realizing that that 10% is the easiest points of the essay. DS has an accommodation of no late points, but the work eventually does have to be turned in. Having trouble with that, too. He can also turn in a rough draft of any written assignment before a final draft. Yep, having trouble with that, too.
    And what irritates me about this is DS was running late on the paper because he was working on a group project for the same class the last few days. Couldn't let the other kids down and group projects ALWAYS take longer than the teachers expect. Plus the group project was worth a lot fewer points. All formal writing is 50% of the grade for English. The essay was assigned over spring break which was supposed to be be homework free, but the teacher thought she got around the rule by it being a long term assignment and setting the due date due Tues instead of Monday. We were out of town and busy most of spring break. (And yes the kid was supposed to work on it while we were away but forgot something he needed. The teacher still shouldn't have assigned it then.) Plus he honestly missed it by 1 minute. Of course I know.. when you have to turn into those online things you NEED to give extra time and not try and submit at the lat minute. And this is an important life lesson. If he is 1 minute late submitting his state college applications next year, there is no late folder.

UGGG Just ranting...

Good Luck getting an appointment with a psychologist. I think we just lucked out and called DS psychologist at just the right time because she is no longer taking new patients.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM