Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    _
    _Angie_ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    _
    I find quite often that my idea of what is a reasonable request to the school differs from opinions on here. smile Can I use you as a sounding board to see what's reasonable?

My K son is in a smaller school environment. There are only 2 K classes in his program. This year we got lucky in that there are 3 kids (my son and 2 other boys) that appear to all be in that ~135ish IQ area and are math kids.

I would like to email the principal and ask if my son can be placed together with one of these boys (or possibly both) for 1st grade next year. It has been a HUGE help to my son to be in class with these kids. Is that reasonable? Is there a right way to word it?

The 3 have learned nothing in math all year in class, but they get each other and have a peer group at school. Also they talk about things like multiplication and prime numbers during math when the other students are still working on the assignment and during recess, etc.

The 3 kids from this class plus 2 girls from the other class get pulled out once a week for gifted services run by a parent. So the school may see this as satisfying the peer group component, but of course there's a huge difference between one hour a week and all week being in the same class.

Complicating the issue is that one of the girls has a mom (a friend of mine, not complaining here) that's asking to be in with the group of 3 boys that are together now, because she can see that it has benefited my son. Ideally they'd take all 5 AIG kids and put them in the same classroom and they could be grouped together for instruction, but I don't think it's likely the school would be willing to do that. I'm not sure the teachers would be happy to divide things up that way.

You can see even from this discussion I'm not really articulating well what I want. wink I don't know what to ask for. Ideally all 5 kids could be grouped together. I think that's best for those 5 kids. I don't think that would make a huge difference for my son though, because I think actual differentiated instruction is unlikely next year. So I think for him I'm more likely to get and the most important part would be to be grouped with one of those 2 boys.

Thoughts?

Last edited by _Angie_; 04/11/16 07:33 AM.
    A
    A
    Before my DS was placed for 1st grade, his K teacher suggested that I talk to the principal to place my son with a teacher who's strong in both academic and social skills and a few kids who are close to my son's academic level to help him socially. They did exactly that and I am very happy with the result, especially socially and that was our main concern when he entered 1st grade.

I don't think it's too much to ask, IMO. You want your son to have a peer who he can relate to better. They help either other socially and academically. Having all five of them in one class may not be possible, but just two or three of them together would be beneficial.

C
    C
    We managed to do this for DS back in grade 2. In the spring I went in to request that for the next year they would put DS with the teacher that would best be able to differentiate and since I knew how much work it would be I asked if it would be possible to also put X who was also gifted in the same class so that they wouldn't have to have two teachers differentiating for gifted kids. The school happily did it (although in our case it was only 2 kids and we were coming off a DISASTER of a year so they kind of knew they had to do something for DS). The actual differentiation was pathetic in the end but at least he had a buddy.

C
    C
    Is there a parent among the parents of the five kids who has a really good relationship with the principal? If so, is it possible for that parent to talk (not email) with the principal to see if anything might be done to group them all together in class? I'd ask if it might make it simpler for pull-outs for the teacher(s) if everyone like that was together... etc.

_
    _Angie_ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    _
    Yes, actually my friend that is the mom of one of the girls spoke with the principal earlier in the year about this and one of them suggested the idea. I think the principal was open to it/positive about it, but I'm being a little cynical about if it will really happen. I will ask her if she minds making the request again.

I almost want to send a separate request about my son and the 2 boys though, in case the answer to the first question is no. But I don't want to derail her efforts in any way, if she does agree to take the request to the principal.

Should I also just go talk to the principal about it? Would that be better? I don't want to waste her time on something that could be in an email. However I also need to talk to her about single subject acceleration testing, so... maybe there's enough there to discuss that it won't feel completely ridiculous to request a 15 min meeting?

Last edited by _Angie_; 04/11/16 08:42 AM. Reason: I can't type today :P
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by _Angie_
    Yes, actually my friend that is the mom of one of the girls spoke with the principal earlier in the year about this and one of them suggested the idea. I think the principal was open to it/positive about it, but I'm being a little cynical about if it will really happen. I will ask her if she minds making the request again.

I almost want to send a separate request about my son and the 2 boys though, in case the answer to the first question is no. But I don't want to derail her efforts in any way, if she does agree to take the request to the principal.

Should I also just go talk to the principal about it? Would that be better? I don't want to waste her time on something that could be in an email. However I also need to talk to her about single subject acceleration testing, so... maybe there's enough there to discuss that it won't feel completely ridiculous to request a 15 min meeting?

I think it would be good to have more than one parent making the same request. Power in numbers! IME, it's best to have these conversations either in person or by the phone so you get the response/reaction right away. It's too easy for things to go awry on e-mail, whereas you can hear her thoughts on it and respond as needed if you are on the phone. Setting up a 15 minute conversation would depend on whether or not you have found appts. to be what works best in your school system.

B
    B
    One way to approach this might be to ask them if they could provide a 'gifted cluster'. This is the terminology my son's public school used to do exactly what you want. While the official line was there was no testing or GATE till 4th grade. They did attempt to cluster the top kids so they would have peers and teachers who broke kids into small groups.

_
    _Angie_ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    _
    Okay, thanks everyone!

Follow up question... spoke with the teacher about it today during my weekly volunteer spot. Teacher thought it was a great idea to keep my son and one of the two boys together. She thinks they really help each other and are great working together in class. This is the one I would have singled out as well. She said the K teachers will make the initial list and it will be adjusted by the principal as needed. She suggested I also pass on the request to the principal just to be sure.

The teacher reminded me (I guess I'd forgotten) that DS spent the entire first month and a half of K sitting by himself in the corner, not interacting with the class. Since that time he's come out of his shell and been a leader in the classroom. It is true that he really does sit back and feel out a situation before becoming part of it, if that makes sense.

Anyway, K teacher thinks email to the principal should highlight that DS is slow to adjust to new situations as a supporting reason for pairing the two kids together. My husband is adamant that we not make the request by highlight DS's weaknesses, when they really haven't been an issue. He doesn't want him labelled in some way.

I'm not sure which reasoning to take when asking for the request. My real reason is that this other boy is his intellectual peer, but I don't know how to say that without triggering anti-gifted reactions in people.

Thoughts?

_
    _Angie_ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    _
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    One way to approach this might be to ask them if they could provide a 'gifted cluster'. This is the terminology my son's public school used to do exactly what you want. While the official line was there was no testing or GATE till 4th grade. They did attempt to cluster the top kids so they would have peers and teachers who broke kids into small groups.

Yes. This is the real request _I_ want to make. But how to make it sound okay?

I'm afraid the term "gifted cluster" will be off putting. This is not a school really excited about it's gifted offerings...

L
    L
    Our school uses high-ability clusters, if you prefer that phrasing. Even before achievement testing. It's not "official" I'm sure because it might look like tracking, but it was something I pushed for and it makes differentiation easier for the teacher.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM