Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 111 of 131 1 2 109 110 111 112 113 130 131
    A
    A
    I am a night person have always been more focused at night time than during the day so maybe DS is going to that direction too wink

T
    T
    I recall our parents in their desperation flipping the fuse for the upstairs bedrooms at 11pm. No, we didn't have flashlights.

R
    RRD Offline
    R
    Originally Posted by Tigerle
    I recall our parents in their desperation flipping the fuse for the upstairs bedrooms at 11pm. No, we didn't have flashlights.

I used to sneak over to sit by the door to my bedroom so that I could read by the hallway light. I never actually got caught (unless of course, they knew but just let me do it). smile

F
    F
    Originally Posted by RRD
    Originally Posted by Tigerle

I used to sneak over to sit by the door to my bedroom so that I could read by the hallway light. I never actually got caught (unless of course, they knew but just let me do it). smile

My DYS10 has been having what he calls "midnight reading parties" for years.

G
    G
    Originally Posted by JessicaJune
    Sometimes I'm even the 'mean Mom' who physically removes all new reading material from his room late at night so he'll get some sleep. (But only when he's been really tired and I can tell he's been staying up too late reading.)

I have thought about doing this, but I was afraid that was too severe!! I sit in the hallway until my kids go to sleep(anxiety issues), but it also allows me to make sure DD10 does NOT read. The minute I go to the bathroom or downstairs for something, she is out of bed and grabbing a book to read (or pulling it out from under her pillow!!!).

R
    RRD Offline
    R
    Originally Posted by greenlotus
    Originally Posted by JessicaJune
    Sometimes I'm even the 'mean Mom' who physically removes all new reading material from his room late at night so he'll get some sleep. (But only when he's been really tired and I can tell he's been staying up too late reading.)

I have thought about doing this, but I was afraid that was too severe!!

I don't have to take the books away, I only have to remind them that it's the consequence if they don't put them away once we turn the lights out. Isn't it a great problem to have?! And it's so adorable to check on them later and see that one of them has fallen asleep clutching a book! I always hoped our kids would end up being readers. smile

P
    P
    For those of you old enough to remember glow-in-the-dark watches, I discovered as a child that with enough patience and determination, it was actually possible to read by one...

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    We just subscribed to Dreambox. DS5 has zoomed through lessons and really impressed DS8.

DS8 on DS5 "Once he stops progressing so quickly we'll know the level he should be at in school. His work needs to be challenging but doable. I'll print out his grade level and take it to his teachers (DS8's former teachers who adore him) and get them to adjust his work level so he isn't sitting around doing easy stuff."

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    KJP, that is absolutely adorable! Your ODS has clearly got this advocacy thing down.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    T
    T
    I like, KJP!

Page 111 of 131 1 2 109 110 111 112 113 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM