Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 96 of 102 1 2 94 95 96 97 98 101 102
    G
    G
    Both my DD's were working with "Perler Beads", and DD10 created a design so that a white bead sat next to a clear bead with rainbow colored beads in a half circle around the clear bead. She started a information session about how the clear bead was acting as prism creating a rainbow effect, and DD12 just got cranky because she was being "crafty" and didn't want to hear science talk. DD12 is all about hair and cooking and 6th grade events. DD10 cannot figure out why that stuff is so exciting. It kind of puts into perspective why DD10 find herself on the outs with many of the other 6th graders. I, of course, find her educational talks quite interesting!!!

G
    G
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    A bulk update about DS4, as it's been a long time since I was last here:

DS to lady: Hi M'am. My name is DS. What's yours?

Lady: Hi DS, it's nice to meet you. I'm Lady.

DS: I see your little girl is toddling around among the books. She's a real cutie. What kind of books does she enjoy most?

Lady: Thanks DS, that's nice of you to say. She really likes animals.
    I had a big smile on my face as I read your post. Not only is your DS coming up with some great conversation, but he is oh so polite as well!! I would have liked to see the Lady's face while she listened to DS!

The middle school principle takes you aside when you drop something off for your DD and she tries to tell you that your sixth grade DD really ought to be taking the bus to the high school next year for Maths to take honours Geometry.

This school district has come a long way in the last 3 years! They have really done their best to encourage and accomodate our DD since we shared her testing results.

Become what you are
    T
    T
    3. DS on inventing/philosophy

DS runs up to me after running multiple circuits of the house, extending his palm as though displaying an invisible tablet and scrolling with his index finger over his palm.

DS: Hey Mama. Know what this is?

Me: Is it a time lapse slideshow of your running circuit with you on it?

DS: No, it's a device that lets me see into the afterlife.

Me: That's interesting. How did you decide to create that kind of device?

DS: Well, science can answer most questions, but nobody has any real knowledge of the afterlife. I figure it would be pretty unique to have that kind of information.

Me: It sounds like you've stumbled onto a niche area of knowledge. I'm intrigued. Do you want to tell me more about it?

DS: Well, it's in development, so I can't really comment.

Me: That's fair. Maybe I can see a prototype?

DS: We'll see. .

This should be made into a Calvin and Hobbes comic.

...your DD8 gets a call at 4pm Friday from a friend asking if she wants to be in a math competition with him on Sat. morning - the first day of Spring Break, and she says yes. Then, hearing about the competition DD13 decides she should check it out too - eventually decided she would give it a go also.
    Then at the competition, DD8 and her team place 2nd in the team portion of the competition, DD13 places 6th for individual and 1st for team.
    Neither of them have ever done a math competition before or knew what to expect, but both now want to do more.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Mk13
    5. You find yourself speaking to your DC's age peers and look completely socially inept because you have no idea how to relate to normative behaviour.

or when you find yourself speaking to your DC's age peers the way you normally talk to your child and they give you the deer in the headlight look because they have absolutely no idea what you're trying to say! lol

ha – so true!

i often totally forget my kid is really weird – after prolonged exposure, she seems normal to me! well, at least until i have other parents assuming she's just the tiniest 12 y/o they've ever met... (she just turned 8.)

but i guess this is totally fair, since i actually have no idea how old their kids are, either. DD is friends with a girl i assumed was around 11 – they dance in two classes together, and she's a lovely, lovely friend. and apparently 14.

DG

/also - HI everyone!!

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    The middle school principle takes you aside when you drop something off for your DD and she tries to tell you that your sixth grade DD really ought to be taking the bus to the high school next year for Maths to take honours Geometry.

This school district has come a long way in the last 3 years! They have really done their best to encourage and accomodate our DD since we shared her testing results.

this makes me weep with joy!

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    R
    RRD Offline
    R
    I think I must be parenting a GC because he's often more observant than I am...

We were reading a picture book from the library entitled Julia's House for Lost Creatures and I mentioned that it was such a great book that I should look up other books by this author. DS6 pipes up and says "But mommy, he's also the author of Zita the Spacegirl because look, look and look..." while pointing to the image of Julia (who bears a strong resemblance to Zita), a star (that looks like a star in the Zita books - I had to check), and a ghost (that looks like a "blob" creature in the Zita book - I had to check). Yes, Zita the Spacegirl is indeed a graphic novel by the same author/illustrator that we read last month.

He does this sort of thing on a daily basis.

...when you have no idea what they're talking about anymore, at least in certain subject areas.

Last edited by chris1234; 03/23/16 06:52 AM.
    R
    RRD Offline
    R
    When DS6 asked about the letters TM on a logo and received an explanation about trademarks, he immediately expressed concern about the Pokemon cards that he has designed and made himself. He accepted DH's reassurance that it's ok as long as he doesn't try to sell them in stores.

Page 96 of 102 1 2 94 95 96 97 98 101 102

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM