Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 251 of 268 1 2 249 250 251 252 253 267 268
    R
    R
    Thanks. smile I'll check those out.

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.
    N
    N
    The English unit was on the Scottish play. The assignment was a soliloquy, un-rhymed blank verse, from the point of view of one of the characters (not the king). This is generally considered the hardest assignment of the year; my older child, who writes, had found it very challenging. Younger DS, who does not turn in any writing, wrote a sonnet. Enjoyed doing it. And turned it in. A true sonnet (well, one variation in one of the lines) It was excellent. It brought tears to my eyes. It was shared around his team, and all agreed it sounds exactly like DS, with depth and honesty and insight. 100% and skyrocketed his grade from an "F--"to a solid "D".

(Maybe that last part belongs in "quirky anecdotes", or perhaps "general support/headbang".)

B
    B
    NorthernBen. That's wonderful. Yep our kids can do wonderful things when they are interesting in the subject.

I have something on that lines my DS17 did last week while I was out of town. My husband reports to me that DS needed to bring in a food/drink for his Spanish class. He decided to make a Peruvian drink that we get at a local restaurant. He found a recipe online, figured out he couldn't buy one of the ingredients at the local stores. Found a store in a neighboring area, drove himself to the store and found the missing unusual ingredient. My husband came home to find him boiling up the drink on the stove. It came out well for a first attempt. Although he did turn a lot of pots purple. And he got a 100% on the project. This type of thing make me feel my kid is going to be successful at life even if he doesn't get the best of grades.

Last edited by bluemagic; 05/26/16 09:08 AM.
    N
    N
    Bluemagic, that's wonderful! Again, when they are interested and come up with it on their own, they are wondrous. I hope he saved some for you smile

S
    S
    July 9, 2012, aka the Day I Knew I Was in Trouble.

My kid was enjoying Free Play at Gymboree. He wandered over to the wiggly funhouse mirror. Catching sight of himself, he said, "Youuuuu!"

Pause.

"V! W! X! Y! Z!"

And then he wandered away to play with something else.

I sat there and grappled with the realization that my 22-month-old had come up with his first pun.

That's a pretty good indicator for how things have gone, before and since. He is a hoot. Challenging as heck, and hard to stay ahead of, but a hoot.

F
    F
    dd12 finishing up 6th grade just received the Presidents award for academic excellence!

F
    F
    During a family game of Yahtzee last night, my 7 year old/1st grader and I had a brief conversation about addition/multiplication being commutative vs. not commutative (a concept she knew about), which led to telling her that negative numbers are a thing that exist, and I drew out a little number line from -10 to 10 and showed her 2 - 5 = -3. I thought nothing more of it.

This morning, in the middle of her pretend play, she starts reciting "2 - 5 = -3" on repeat so I ask her what 5 - 10 equals. Without hesitation, "-5!" "What's 10 - 11?" "-1!" "3 - 5?" "-2!" I completely wasn't expecting her to actually get it when I explained it over Yahtzee, I just wanted her to know it was a *thing*.

R
    RRD Offline
    R
    DS6 who is also in grade 1 did the same with division of odd numbers. "What's 3 divided by 2? 5 divided by 2? 7 divided by 2? 9 divided by 2? 101 divided by 2?" He understood that you can divide the even number by two and then divide the extra number in half. And then he said that doing math relaxes him.

Also, last week while we were on vacation (and he was allowed an hour of Minecraft a day) he somehow he worked out the following: "If I am too silly two times, I will lose 10 minutes of Minecraft. So if I'm silly 4 times, I'll lose 20 minutes. He made it all the way up to 12 times he would lose his whole 60 minutes." I think he kept adding 10 for every 2 rather than actually multiplying 12x5, but still.

We're still not sure he's gifted (and have to wait until July to get the results!), but that's not usual for a typical 6 year old, is it? Anyone who has noticed all of my posts will notice that I'm not good with waiting. It must be the ADD. crazy

F
    F
    I just asked my daughter what she would do if she had 3 cookies and needed to share them between two people, and she came up with giving each 1 1/2, but I might have set her up for success posing it that way, LOL. And now I want cookies.

I love this spontaneous numbers stuff though. I went from thinking she was barely chugging along at grade level to realizing she was capable of so much more after her evaluation!

I am so old that we had corner sweet shops and ha'pennies. Some of the sweets were n a penny, like Flying Saucers, Fruit Salads and Blackjacks. Fractions were concrete in those days and even five year olds had an solid understanding born from frequent visits to the school tuck shop or sweet shops to and from school.

Become what you are
    Page 251 of 268 1 2 249 250 251 252 253 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM