Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    _
    _
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Originally Posted by _Angie_
    to skip... has to get a perfect score
    This is heinous. Here's an old post discussing this practice. Is there any opportunity to negotiate a different cut score, such as 90%?

Wishing him good luck on his test-taking skills, as his math skills seem to be solidly in place. smile

Thanks!! smile

Next year to skip 2nd grade only 85% correct is required. So we will get there, eventually. Supposedly we can appeal the decision this year and they will look at each case one by one, but I think really they don't think 1st grade kids are old enough to skip yet. Anyway, we will work the system the best we can! First he needs to get his usual 49/50 points so we have a solid case to make.

N
    N
    If one more teacher, administrator, support person says "you're a smart kid, this should not be a problem for you" to my child, I am not responsible for my reaction. Oh,and in the last meeting, the school psychologist smiled at my son that he is in the 99th percentile, then, bizarrely proceeded to explain to him what that means. Um, he's in the 99th percentile, he knows what it means.
    *%^<*ukgyUgh Ug hguhkUh t?)7& head bang

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Actually, I always explain what the 99th %ile means, even if the student knows, though I also ask if they do, first. Usually at least some staff at the meeting don't, so I'm really explaining for them, but it's less obvious if I direct it to the student.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    N
    N
    Thanks for the better perspective, aeh smile I need to re-adjust my attitude sometimes.

E
    E
    Dropping off DS on a day where he spends 2+ hours with a teacher who seems to be playing a huge role in the "school makes me hate myself" saga. In what should be DS' wheelhouse subject.

Instructing DS not to speak unless spoken to, period.

Four more days.... smile

^#{%<\%^~%**%|}\ (banging head on smartphone keyboard)

Last edited by eco21268; 05/16/16 06:09 AM.
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by NotherBen
    If one more teacher, administrator, support person says "you're a smart kid, this should not be a problem for you" to my child, I am not responsible for my reaction.

I can't remember if your DS has neuropsych testing but you might mention that in a factual way--"Yes, cognitive ability is in 99th, but EF (or ability to manage anxiety, etc.) is not."

I remember one of the first things I heard here, and from DS' neuropsych, is that school folks default to that "if you're so smart...why can't you..." I assume this is because they don't understand. I wouldn't understand, either, if I hadn't been forced to understand.

It is very frustrating to hear that! Especially if the child starts to internalize and equate intelligence with EF.

(((Hugs)))

N
    N
    Eco, in the "better late than never" category, DS17 is being evaluated over a couple of weeks. In fact, it took me a while to understand what was going on, and to get the school on board with doing assessments. So for his last year of high school, he may finally receive the support he needs. Our meeting is next week, when we will learn the results of all the evaluations and if he qualifies for services.

E
    E
    I PM'd you, Nother.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by aeh
    Actually, I always explain what the 99th %ile means, even if the student knows, though I also ask if they do, first. Usually at least some staff at the meeting don't, so I'm really explaining for them, but it's less obvious if I direct it to the student.

good god, and these people have college degrees? Their own kids where test scores came home and they had to interpret the result?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Yup. I'll just allude here to my oft-stated observation on math anxiety in education majors.

It's also an opportunity for me to emphasize just how different these kids are from the norm, in an attempt to persuade decision-makers and classroom staff that a couple of extra problem sets or essays will not suffice to meet the student's needs.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM