Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    _
    _
    My K DS found the Beast Academy books I have for him for summer math and started pouring through them. He begged me for each one after he was done with the other. He read 3A, 3B, 3C and part of 3D in under 2 weeks. I know he isn't getting all the concepts this way but he's asking some really interesting questions. He literally spent 5 minutes jumping up and down and screaming "I love this one!" when he got to 3B about multiplication. This is a really reserved, laid back kid. smile He got more excited about this than the donuts I brought home last night. wink

We'll see how he does when we sit down and have to do the hard work that goes along with the books. But I just thought I'd add our experience and say thanks to everyone that recommended these books to me. I'm looking forward to a fun summer of math work. smile

For the school year we're doing Dreambox, mostly for double digit addition/subtraction practice. It's been a good program. We're just now moving to 3rd grade content so I'm not familiar with the level your son would be working at, a year ahead of what we've been doing.

A
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks Portia. I sure will keep that in mind. This is mostly the reason why I wanted to get the supplement outside of the school to make sure he's well challenged. If he goes the same pace as in school, that is fine too as this will be more practice for him smile

A
    OP Offline
    A
    Based on MAP test score, my son is in 3rd grade level. We did not really give him accelerated math work to do at home except taking a couple of math courses at the University enrichment program on Saturdays. So I think 3A would be a good starting point. This way I know we won't have a gap in any areas.

So nice to see your DS getting excited about the books. I hope my son would have the same reaction when he sees the book wink

Last edited by ajinlove; 02/24/16 01:51 PM.
    _
    _
    We've also used IXL.com to fill in gaps for things that aren't "core" math, like telling time, money, shapes, etc. It's a way to browse topics for a certain grade with very little time investment. I don't know how accurate it is but we have found things DS didn't know that we didn't realize were covered in that year.

You can do a certain number of free problems per day, which are about right to do a quick daily math type of thing. After a year of using it like that we did finally buy an account, but you don't really have to.

It's just okay but for what we use it for it's actually kind of great. The biggest challenge is keeping DS from wandering off to high school level topics. smile

Last edited by _Angie_; 02/24/16 02:46 PM.
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Had a good conversation with DS' teacher at the conference last night. The teacher told me that after the last email communication about DS not very interested in doing the challenged packet, he has been showing more interest in the packet. Part of it could be due to working the same packet with another boy in the class who is his good friend.

Right after I asked the teacher if my understanding was correct that he was working on these problems after he's done with the regular classwork, the teacher said yes but she will start to just have him do the packet (after he's done with the current one) because it is just redundant work for him to do what he has already mastered. I told the teacher this may help his attitude towards working on the challenged problems since he won't see this as "extra" work.

One thing I found out from the teacher is that because his limitations in vocabulary, he's had some trouble understanding the word problems. Once he's explained the meaning of the words, he usually does not have trouble answering the question. So this is an area that we need to work on with him. I hope Beast Academy will help with this as well.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM