Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by Displaced
    You have motivated me to start again with typing with how fast you made progress. I've been putting it off since last year but I think it would be better to start immediately,

Displaced, sorry I missed this thread earlier in the week. You've received great advice already, and I agree 900% with everyone who's suggested getting your ds keyboarding right away. I'll throw in one thought re the typing - don't expect it to be lightning fast, and it doesn't *need* to be lightning fast. Typing right away takes away one of the huge challenges for dysgraphic kids - automaticity. Your ds won't be having to think about how to form the letter he's struggling to write, therefore he'll be able to think about other things such as punctuation etc. My dysgraphic ds also has dyspraxia, which impacts his ability to type quickly, but even though he's slow typing is an extremely useful and important accommodation for him.

as well as switch to cursive for a trial.

I wouldn't recommend teaching cursive yet (jmo) - it is true that cursive is easier for some dysgraphics to use because it doesn't require lifting the pencil from the paper for each letter, and my ds did learn cursive and had legible cursive handwriting - while he was learning it. The gotcha though is that learning cursive doesn't take away the dysgraphia, it just might disguise it a little bit. The dysgraphic person is still going to lack automaticity of handwriting and still have very little working memory left over to think about grammar, punctuation, what thoughts to write etc. FWIW, my ds also *forgot* how to write in cursive over the course of a very short summer - so all the time invested in learning it was simply lost time. Even if he'd remembered how to write in cursive, it would not have been a functional way for him to show his knowledge.

It's a valid point to consider how DS would feel regarding differences. He's verbalized worry about his dyslexia and not reading like the other kids despite homeschooling for >1 year. If he is also concerned about writing and has problems again in school we would homeschool until he's older, has less "noticeable" differences, and more self-confidence.

I also have a slightly different point of view here, too. He's going to still have differences when he's older. He's still going to know he's dysgraphic/dyslexic. If you can give him a school environment where he's receiving intellectual challenge - where he has a chance to really think about things that he's interested in, where he had great teachers, and where he has intellectual peers, then those are as equally important to consider as the fact that he might feel different due to his challenges. My ds *hated* feeling different because of his challenges when he was younger - and he still doesn't like feeling different even now that he's older. However - the things that helped *counter* those feelings were giving him the opportunity to learn at the rate he is capable of and giving him intellectual challenge. I realize you can do that at home, but your ds can and will be successful outside the home too - and whenever he moves from homeschool to b&m school, he'll most likely have a transition time of getting used to using accommodations in a setting where other students don't. Don't make the "when" to transition to b&m based on worries about the feeling of differences, make the decision based on what he's going to be going into that will benefit him. Hope that makes sense!

I have DS do coloring, drawing, mazes, cutting, etc as therapy daily.

Is this therapy for fine motor muscle strength? I'm just curious. I don't intend to sound negative, but it's not going to take away the challenges of dysgraphia - which is all about developing automaticity. Most dysgraphics don't develop automaticity of handwriting. Coloring, drawing, etc don't address automaticity.

He would probably need twice the amount of time as other kids to accomplish the same tasks for anything requiring his hands. Artwork, musical instruments, you name it (from the dyspraxia co-diagnosis).

I also wouldn't count on this until he's experienced it. My dyspraxis ds loves loves loves music, and has never needed extra time for anything related to musical instruments. He holds his hands in a very odd looking position to play piano and his fingers bend oddly when he hits the keys, but he's a great piano player. He also plays in the band and loves it. Music class is actually one place where he feels completely *typical* smile He's also very good at drawing. And art class is often filled with kids who are so not artistic that even nt kids take awhile to finish art projects.

I would, however, wonder if his dyslexia might impact him in music re reading music. It doesn't seem to impact my dyslexic dd, but my dd who had vision issues (convergence etc) had a difficult time learning to read music.

In general, re the non-core classes - my recommendation is to get the 504 or IEP or whatever you need for core classes in place, then add accommodations for other things as they are experienced and you have a good idea of what will be necessary.

Good luck!

polarbear

eta - forgot to mention something that was really useful for our ds - word prediction software, which means that after you type just a few letters you'll get a list of words to choose from that you can click on rather than continuing to type out the word. DS used Co:Writer for this on the laptop when he was in elementary school. There is built-in word prediction in iPads (which ds uses now) as well as word prediction apps. Not only his typing speed, but ds' spelling and overall output increased quite a bit using word prediction.

Last edited by polarbear; 02/13/16 11:29 PM.
    P
    P
    If your son is feeling concerned about being noticeably different, it may be worth trying to get a feeling for the school culture and the attitudes of the kids. We've found that in some schools, the kids are very open and tolerant of differences, in others not so much. In our old school, for example, the kids were very (very!) aware that DS was an odd duck; starting to bring a laptop to class didn't have add much to that oddity. But it wasn't a negative label, it was just an observation. Kids always know who is different. The question is, what do they do about it?

I'm not quite sure how you investigate this from the outside - maybe try to observe a class and some hallway/ recess time, or ask to talk to some kids who aren't quite, er, mainstream? Also ask about - and look for signs - that the school regularly provides a range of visible accommodations, such that the kids are used to seeing them. Around here, for example, any younger class will have a number of kids on wiggle cushions. Some classes have a box of headphones available for kids who want to block out distracting noise. The number of kids with laptops in older classes (grade 3+) is skyrocketing. These kinds of supports are so widely used and available for the asking that the kids don't give them - or anyone who uses them - much thought.

It's usually easier if kids get used to assistive technology sooner rather than later. At 7, classmates still have much more open and forgiving views of what falls in the boundaries of "normal". However, the kids only get more and more self-conscious and worried about what their peers are thinking from here on out. There are quite a few threads here trying to figure out what to do with older kids who are refusing to use assistive tech in middle school. So the sooner you can normalize it, the better. Ideally, by the time the child is starting to feel the major waves of peer pressure washing over him, he and his classmates have long forgotten to notice the laptop.

P
    P
    Displaced, another thing to mention - my ds started out using a laptop in elementary school, but he's older and was in elementary school before the iPad came out. He switched to an iPad in middle school and has never looked back - today iPads contain basically everything a dysgraphic needs for success in school with the exception of a few math utilities which you probably wouldn't even consider until your ds is much farther along in math - and by that time, they'll most likely be on the iPad too.

The reason I mention this is that the iPad, for my ds, felt so much less conspicuous and also is so much lighter that it's easy for a kid to carry around therefore much more portable from classroom to classroom or even just across one classroom.

Best wishes,

polarbear

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    And if an iPad is too expensive, ChromeBooks are relatively affordable, and provide access to many of the same AT functions through Google apps/extensions. Some of them are free, and many of them are already licensed by your school. For example, in our secondary school building (which has universal ChromeBook adoption), we've turned on Google Read&Write for every student, which allows text-to-speech, speech-to-text, and word prediction. Text-to-speech function of Read&Write is free inside GoogleDocs, and teachers can get the premium version free (unfortunately not homeschool teachers). There are others, too, if you poke around the Chrome extensions.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM