Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 100 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    My twins were given the ITBS and they are in first grade
    One twin scored 27% Reading 99% Math
    Second Twin 93% Reading 95% Math

Second twin is was accepted into the gifted program, they want to retest the other next yr.

I was told this is an IQ test but no one will give me the break down on how these percentages turn into an IQ score. I've tried googling it and just become more confused.

Thank you for any assistance

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    The ITBS is not an IQ test. It is an achievement test, which could be why googling it isn't helping.

C
    C
    Does the child with the 27% score struggle with reading? If not, I'd wonder what happened test day to have the score be so low. (In my head, I think of things like filling in the bubbles incorrectly.)

Kai is correct, it's an achievement test.

E
    E
    Yeah, that sounds a lot like a kid who skipped a line by mistake when bubbling. I'd ask if you can get his answer sheet or at least have someone look at it.

L
    L
    In terms of the IQ test, what they MIGHT be referring to is the CogAT. The CogAT, which is a group ability test, is sometimes given at the same time as the ITBS (which as others have stated, is an achievement test). CogAT is NOT an IQ test, but even schools sometimes try to use the data as they would an IQ test (the scores even resemble IQ scores).

Another vote for the incorrect bubbling theory. wink

Last edited by Loy58; 02/10/16 04:08 PM.
    P
    P
    Unless the kid who got the low score is clearly struggling I would go fo there being a error in process rather than knowledge too. You would know if there was that big a variation.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    If they gave the test on level, it is unlikely that the problem is with getting off on the bubbles as they are in the test booklet itself (unless things have changed). The third grade test is where they switch to using a bubble sheet.

If the reading score does not reflect what you know to be true about your child's reading, then the score is wrong.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    He can read, he just has minimal interest unlike his sister.

So now I am curious about his reading score on the ITBS.

Here are the CogAT scores , does anyone know how they interpret to "IQ" scores

Boy Twin V 83% , Q 73%, NV 81%, T 88%

Girl Twin V 83%, 84%, NV 96%, T 92%

I realize some kids "test better than others"...I was a kid who never did on 'standardized test' but thrived in the gifted program I was in throughout high school.

Again, any assistance is welcomed.

L
    L
    I'm sure others will chime in, but in general terms, the CogAT doesn't provide IQ scores, but it is normed in the same way that IQ scores are (using standard deviations from the norm, along a curve), using standard age scores. But it's a group administered test that measures ability in a school setting rather than individually assessing cognitive ability. It has the potential to miss gifted kids (particularly if they think things through deeply). If you search the archives, you can find some more helpful advice. Since the K-2 test is given orally, if your child does better with viewing test questions, they may score higher when given the test in 3rd grade or above.

CogAT scores are given in 'stanines,' with strengths and weaknesses in learning profiles. You can then look up the profile score on their website and get information.

-Stanine 9 is top 4% (96th percentile and up) "Very high"
    -Stanine 8 is the next 7% (89-95th percentile) "Above average"
    -Stanine 7 is the next 12% (77-88th percentile) "Above average"
    -Stanine 6 (60-76th percentile) is "Average"
    (Standard Age Score equivalents for percentile comparison here: outside link to conversion chart )

Where your school draws the line for GT services may depend on a combination of CogAT, Iowa Assessment (ITBS) scores, and other information.

You can view a learning profile based on the stanine info once you get a specific profile by entering the stanines here: CogAt profile interpretation system

Last edited by longcut; 02/11/16 12:19 PM. Reason: added links
    P
    P
    With the two scores together the decision to retest boy twin next year and accept girl twin now seems correct.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM