Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    I read online that the original EPGY offered by Stanford was a great program for GT kids. When they replaced it with RedBird Advanced Learning, the program switched to Common Core focused curriculum. Does anyone have experience with EPGY offered by Stanford? Do you recommend this program?

TIA!

L
    L
    We used EPGY with DD10 before it switched to Redbird. We also used it for a while during the transition, which had many glitches. She lost interest during the glitches and we were ready to switch her to AoPS by then.

Is anyone using this with an advanced kiddo and if so, how is it now? Is the pace fast enough for an advanced learner? I might consider using it for DS7 if it has improved...

A
    A
    DD was enrolled in the original EPGY last year. It was ok, but she would get frustrated by lessons where it was assumed she'd already been taught the topic, but she hadn't--and there were no links to review earlier lessons (perhaps things she missed by starting in 5th grade math). She also LOATHED the racecar math facts "game" they're required to do.

The Redbird demo we tried seemed to be full of bugs and perhaps not ready for release. But that was a year ago, so perhaps they've fixed it. The issue I've heard about had nothing whatsoever to do with common core/not common core. "Common Core" is simply a set of guidelines for what kids should learn at each level, not so much how they'll learn them.

Anyway, DD still prefers Dreambox mixed with Khan Academy. I've heard the CTY math classes are good, but they're hecka expensive.

L
    L
    I have heard things have gotten better with Redbird but didn't see the issues directly. I believe CTY uses the Thinkwell platform, but not sure if they use it for math or some of the other courses offered....http://www.thinkwellhomeschool.com/

V
    V
    We used both the original EPGY as well as Redbird. I think redbird is a much better program. Unlike EPGY which was very mechanical Redbird has project and mathematical applications.

Also did not see any significant bugs.

Last edited by VR00; 02/09/16 08:53 PM.
    O
    oli Offline
    O
    My 2nd grader has been using Redbird Math since January. She seems to like it but I would love it to be more flexible. We are not in US so she has learned things in very different order than Redbird presents. My biggest complaint is that with Redbird you can not choose what your child needs to learn, they have to progress in order. I also feel it demands lot of parental teaching, for me it seems that it just presents problems and you either know it or not, no real lessons (or maybe I have not figured it out). So I try to sit with DD when she starts so I know if I need to teach her something before.

We have also tried Khan academy. I think it teaches better but the problems are too simple. The same lesson seems to have harder problems on Redbird.

We have not noticed any bugs.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM