Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    stemfun Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    NY Times article Jan 30 2016 How to raise a creative child

...The gifted learn to play magnificent Mozart melodies, but rarely compose their own original scores. They focus their energy on consuming existing scientific knowledge, not producing new insights. They conform to codified rules, rather than inventing their own. Research suggests that the most creative children are the least likely to become the teacher’s pet, and in response, many learn to keep their original ideas to themselves. In the language of the critic William Deresiewicz, they become the excellent sheep.

In adulthood, many prodigies become experts in their fields and leaders in their organizations. Yet “only a fraction of gifted children eventually become revolutionary adult creators,” laments the psychologist Ellen Winner. “Those who do must make a painful transition” to an adult who “ultimately remakes a domain.”

Most prodigies never make that leap. They apply their extraordinary abilities by shining in their jobs without making waves. They become doctors who heal their patients without fighting to fix the broken medical system or lawyers who defend clients on unfair charges but do not try to transform the laws themselves.

So what does it take to raise a creative child? One study compared the families of children who were rated among the most creative 5 percent in their school system with those who were not unusually creative. The parents of ordinary children had an average of six rules, like specific schedules for homework and bedtime. Parents of highly creative children had an average of fewer than one rule.....

Instead of blaming parents.How about getting rid of the mountains of one-size-fits-all homework children have to deal with each day, if we would like them to have more time to pursue their interests and passions. While we are at it, let's get rid of the one-size-fits-all approach to teaching in general to give children even more room to pursue their interests.

C
    C
    I saw that article and had a similar reaction. How about looking at an entire system that is designed, with few shining exceptions, to reward and reinforce conformity and regurgitation?

LAF Offline
    I feel exactly the same way - I do not want my children to be teacher's pet, or get straight As- I want them to have enough time to spend time doing what they like to do. They do have to do what is required, but after that I think it's important to have free time.

I think the entire school system is designed to manufacture robots, and I know there are teachers that hate this aspect of the education system as well frown

P
    P
    I agree with everyone above. The current school system and the college entrance process award jumping through hoops, and turning in on time every piece of paper assigned by the teachers even though what students write on these papers have nothing to do with real learning.

This kind of school system doesn't foster creativity; it also doesn't cultivate solid basic skills. We are all too familiar with the stereotypes that Asian countries focus on rote memory, and (some) European countries focus too early on learning a trade and ignore a liberal arts education. I think the American schools need to open their eyes and see how wrong we are about other countries' education systems and how far behind we have become.

P
    P
    Saw this article last week and fell down the rabbit hole following links... ended up on this one (http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1207/s15326934crj0801_1):

Creativity: Asset or Burden in the Classroom?
    Erik L. Westby & V.L. Dawson

Two studies were conducted to examine teachers' perceptions of creative students... Judgments for the favorite student were negatively correlated with creativity; judgments for the least favorite student were positively correlated with creativity. Students displaying creative characteristics appear to be unappealing to teachers.

U
    U
    I think teachers actually like some types of creativity, but within very restricted boundaries. So, for instance, my daughter is very artistically creative and does a beautiful job on school assignments that require that skill. This type of creativity is rewarded. However, other types of "thinking outside the box" creativity are typically not looked on as favorably.

. That doesn't mean curiosity. That means paying attention to the activities, being willing to produce whatever the group is producing-- like cutting, gluing, etc. And it means following along with whatever the group is doing and whatever the teacher is teaching. A lot of time is spent in preschool developing learning behaviors. If you are wandering off to do your own thing, that's a problem. You need to learn to transition. If you want to be at free play past your group's time, that's a problem.

Yes, a lot of preschool and early school does seem to be about becoming a cog in the system. On the one hand, impulse control does have its place. On the other hand, it can feel like a destruction of the spirit of learning and inquiry. This is where alternate schooling philosophies like Reggio-Emilia and Tools of the Mind start to really appeal.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM