Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    L
    L
    Since your ds is so young, and if he is enjoying school despite not being challenged, one option would be to let it go. Give him complete freedom at home to read whatever he wants but don't push for anything at school. I know many may not agree with this approach but K is so much more than just academics- friends, playtime and just getting used to school routines.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    aeh, so do you know how F&P is different? I'm just curious.

I've found this chart helpful.
    https://www.readinga-z.com/learninga-z-levels/level-correlation-chart/

My DS7's school uses F&P (the level sometimes given on report cards), RAZ kids and Reading A-Z. The F&P levels are different from Reading A-Z levels so it gets confusing when, for example, his teacher said his reading group was instructional level Q but doesn't say if that is F&P or Reading A-Z which is about a grade level difference (never mind that DS is reading F&P level T-V books at home and complains lower level books are boring and don't have enough depth).

I've found teachers don't bother to assess more than one level up from where the kid was previously. This has been a real problem, especially in Kindy and 1st when DS was making huge bursts in his reading. They also seem to get hung up on looking for specific answers in their assessments. For example, in 1st the teacher insisted DS couldn't be at a higher reading level because he wasn't comprehending enough. When I asked what specifically he wasn't comprehending, she answered he wasn't getting "beyond the text" type questions which surprised me because he has an amazing ability to find connections between things. I found out later that he would answer these questions with "that wasn't in the book" and she wouldn't bother to probe further but just assume it meant he didn't know the answer.

Last edited by dreamsbig; 02/07/16 03:22 PM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    blackcat, sorry, totally did not see your question. F&P's benchmark assessment does consist of a scored running record of oral reading, which includes accuracy and rate, and follow-up comprehension questions at three levels (within, beyond, about the text).

Some documents on F&P/LLI's assessment system:

executive summary on the technical properties of the assessment (hint: not good, but that won't be obvious to the average consumer):
    http://assets.pearsonschool.com/asset_mgr/current/201138/BASExecSummary.pdf

one-page description of assessment:
    http://www.heinemann.com/fountasand...rminingInstructionalIndeptHardLevels.pdf

detailed directions on conducting and scoring assessment:
    http://spboe.org/cms/lib3/NJ0100177...untas-Pinnell%20Shortcut%20Documents.pdf

FAQ on assessment, from publisher, including recommendations for students who are clearly reading much above their grade placement (hint: they recommend "extending" grade level reading, no more than a grade level above, rather than placing them at their assessed level):
    https://www.heinemann.com/shared/supportingMaterials/benchmark/FAQs.pdf

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM