Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    LAF #227406 02/03/16 01:46 AM
    P
    P
    There is a lot of pessure put on kids to do things fast and in their head. It is not that surprising they make mistakes.

LAF #227417 02/03/16 08:57 AM
    P
    P
    How frustrating! And obnoxious. I've received the same message from our spec ed support person, almost as bluntly. My kids are fine, I'm the problem. When you know the kids aren't fine, or you know what it's taking you to keep their heads above water and their souls from being crushed, that attitude is just.... just.... oh, insert some very bad word here. (My kids aren't at that school any more).

Anyways, to the point: do you know that she is actually decoding, rather than reading as sight words?

LAF #227419 02/03/16 09:28 AM
    P
    P
    What was said was incredibly unprofessional, and I know it must have felt horrible - I've been on the receiving end of a few similar remarks from school staff. As horrible as it is to hear the remarks, I feel that it's actually a *good* thing to have them voiced - at least you now know what the other person is thinking, rather than assuming that they have no doubts or issues with things. It is annoying as can be, but it also gives you an understanding of what you need to do in terms of advocating for your child.

I've found the best way to respond to these types of remarks is to try to stay as calm and non-reactive as possible. It's soooo not easy - but one way to help make it easier is to prepare a canned comeback that you use whenever something off-base like this gets thrown out at a meeting. For instance, if a staff member suggests you should get a job, just turn it around and back to the focus of the meeting "My understanding is that we're meeting today to discuss how to the needs of my child at school. My employment situation is irrelevant." If the person was to continue on with that line of conversation, I would call a halt to the meeting (which you have a right to do). State that you feel the meeting is getting off track and you would like to call it off and reschedule. No one from the school is going to want to have to reschedule (it's not easy pulling a full team together for a meeting)... BUT... if they did.. then the first thing I'd do is go home and write up a summary of the meeting stating what was said and send it back to each member of the team, let them know this is your recollection of the discussion, and please let you know if there is anything you've missed. I can't imagine that the school staff would let that fly at all - can you imagine a supervisor hearing about this? Chances are the email would come back with an amended version of what was "intended" or "said". Then you start up advocating again, moving forward from there, knowing that the school psych is not an ally.

Hope that makes sense - and fwiw, that's all advice just re how to deal with uncooperative school staff. You also need to keep *your* focus on advocating for your dd. With the combination of the things you've described plus having a family member with dyslexia, I'd want to have an evaluation. You may be better off in terms of gaining more knowledge quickly if you seek a private eval, but re the school district - you need to turn in a written request for the eval asap. State your reasons: what you see re reading (watch her read aloud to you, also what you see in terms of how she reads silently for comprehension, is she having trouble reading instructions, etc), lack of growth in reading, and I'd mention that a close family member is dyslexic. You might want to check in with your brother to see what his early experiences with reading were like and compare that to what you see in your dd. Once the written request is in, the school is required by law to reply with either a yes, we'll evaluate, or a no, we won't evaluate based on ___ reason. Then you move forward from there.

Hope this makes sense - good luck as you move forward!

polarbear

LAF #227424 02/03/16 12:21 PM
    B
    B
    That's the attitude I got as well. They didn't say I'm crazy (to my face--they did behind my back) or "go get a job" but they looked at me like I'm crazy and were completely uninterested in what I had to say. I even gave them an article on evaluating 2e children and how these kids often test average, then go on to dropping out of school. Don't think anyone read it. The sp.ed teacher said "She doesn't have to be good at EVERYTHING." In this case, she was testing average but her classroom work was clearly BELOW average, in terms of being able to complete assignments. They didn't care, because it was all about the test scores and how they had to be in the below-average range.

If you have concerns I think you need to get an independent eval, and depending on what it says, bring it back to the school. Make sure that you get someone who can give specific recommendations to the school.

LAF #227436 02/03/16 08:22 PM
    LAF Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you all for your responses, I really appreciate it. PB I did not react well, basically I burst into tears so that didn't really help. I just was taken by surprise, so to have someone tell me that I was "THAT parent" when I had tried very hard never to be "THAT parent" - well it really upset me.

My instinct is to keep everything separate from the school, but her teacher said she thought we should check, she said her oral reading is very choppy and not fluid compared to other students in her class. So I thought it's easy, they just need to check her reading by having her read a passage or two - I didn't know I was going to get an opinion on my general character.

Aeh I think inattention probably figures into it somehow, and her brother has problems with impulsivity and attention as well (although neither of them lose things, etc.) but it doesn't seem severe. I'm going to try to have her read more interesting material and see if that makes a difference.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM