Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 79 of 131 1 2 77 78 79 80 81 130 131
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Why do you think our preschooler thought claiming to have licked a blue marker was a more parent-pacifying explanation than secretive-blue-candy-eating, for the blue stains in and around the mouth?

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    Asynchonicity of the day:

DS, having leapfrogged into AoPS Algebra, is whipping through the word problems at a speed I am having trouble keeping up with. Until the money problem. "Mommy, what's the difference between nickels and dimes again?"

C
    C
    Trying to save money we bought generic spaghetti. We put it in the name brand box though hoping ds wouldn't notice. Nope...one bite in and he pushed it away because it tasted weird. This kid and his pallet...

Originally Posted by Cola
    Trying to save money we bought generic spaghetti. We put it in the name brand box though hoping ds wouldn't notice. Nope...one bite in and he pushed it away because it tasted weird. This kid and his pallet...

That's an all-too familiar refrain in our home.

For example, our DD had decided she would eat rice in the form of her mom's pilaf from scratch or in no other form. She was 5 or 6 when DW began preparing it, realized she was out of onions, and decided to do without. DD sampled it, and pushed it away, because, "it tastes weird." If you'd asked her right away if she liked onions, she'd have given an emphatic no.

C
    C
    I share your pain. DD6 is extremely picky. One night we had quesadillas which for her is melted cheese between two torrillas. She gets to the middle and takes a bit and freaks out saying it tastes weird and refuses to eat the rest. I try to persuade her saying there is nothing wrong with it, it is exactly the same as usual, etc, etc. Later I find out DH had put a 1mmx2mm piece of chicken in trying to get her to eat meat. Seriously, it was the tiniest piece and she figured it out. Grrrrr.

A
    A
    I understand that! I made meatloaf a few days ago. I usually roast mushrooms and onions, then purée and incorporate them into the meat mixture before baking. As I was pressed for time, I pan fried chopped onion and mushroom and mixed them into the meat without pureeing. Sure enough, even after picking out the visible onions and mushrooms, DS managed to find one micron of onion mid-bite and spit out only the onion without losing any meat.

He also had two experiences with hot foods--kebab and gnocchi--and it's been hard to override his memory of those foods. For about 8 weeks after kebabgate, DS literally asked if EVERY bite of food was cold. To get him to eat a nice pea and morel gnocchi, we had him eat each piece with a small ice cube. {face palm} DS is a child with a low tolerance for parental errors.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    C
    C
    We just bought a pizza for one of the kiddos that was just crust and olive oil. So basically round thin bread. We will start adding items when we are feeling brave and foolish.

Originally Posted by aquinas
    He also had two experiences with hot foods--kebab and gnocchi--and it's been hard to override his memory of those foods. For about 8 weeks after kebabgate, DS literally asked if EVERY bite of food was cold. To get him to eat a nice pea and morel gnocchi, we had him eat each piece with a small ice cube. {face palm} DS is a child with a low tolerance for parental errors.

My younger brother was 3 or 4 when he got hold of my mom's meatloaf sandwich, which had a liberal coat of grandpa's homemade salsa. As a result, he refused to eat anything red (except for marinara sauce) well into his teenage years.

Now he eats raw peppers by the handful because he thinks we're supposed to be impressed by his manliness or something.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Dude

My younger brother was 3 or 4 when he got hold of my mom's meatloaf sandwich, which had a liberal coat of grandpa's homemade salsa. As a result, he refused to eat anything red (except for marinara sauce) well into his teenage years.

Now he eats raw peppers by the handful because he thinks we're supposed to be impressed by his manliness or something.

Stimulus generalization! It's an annoying pill to swallow as a parent. I try to use stimulus generalization to encourage trying new foods. I'm convinced gateway condiments are the way to go to encourage reluctant eaters to try new foods. For DS, the gateway condiment of choice is balsamic vinegar. All new vegetables are first introduced roasted with a balsamic glaze.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    {face palm} DS is a child with a low tolerance for parental errors.
    The preschooler also declines to eat anything until it has been clearly demonstrated to be no warmer than room temperature, for similar reasons. Mostly by sitting on the dinner table for inordinate amounts of time. Parent blowing on it or testing it on self is not enough.

And I am still being reminded every time we cut our fingernails of the time I accidentally nicked a little finger, resulting in literally a tiny red dot--not even a full drop--of blood showing up. This happened at least six months ago. Forgiven, but not forgotten!

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Page 79 of 131 1 2 77 78 79 80 81 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM