Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 66 of 131 1 2 64 65 66 67 68 130 131
    M
    M
    Chana I love that she wants to own it!! laugh

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    A
    A
    Me and DH (paraphrasing): Blah blah talky blah

DS2.7: Excuse me, may I interject?

Me: Of course! What would you like to say DS?

DS (shifts eyes coyly): BIG BOXES! Hahaha! It's my non-joke, Mummy! Hahaha! But seriously, I just wanted your attention.

As I've said before, asynchrony much?

What is to give light must endure burning.
    C
    C
    Discussing Venn Diagrams, my DD9 has definitions for nerd and geek, and says there is a difference and she is a nerd. Cracked me up! Apparently her father is a geek. And I am just Mom. I am not sure that is a good thing.

Also, DD and I were discussing her clothes for an upcoming trip she is going on and I asked her if her new flip-flops fit right (I did not buy them). She stated "they may be a centimeter too big but they should work." I sarcastically stated, "Oh then you have growing room." She does not understand sarcasm very well and said, "Yes, but I shouldn't grow that much in the next three days."

Cassie

"Imperfections in our journey were what made it perfect."-Ewan McGregor
    M
    M
    .... That awkward silence in the room when in a quiz on The Lion King with other 5 and 6 year olds your 5 year old pipes up thoughtfully how the Lion King story is just like his favourite story: Macbeth. he then gives a comparison of the two stories, including matching characters by name and characteristic. And ends it with "but I honestly feel that the three hyenas are a bad match for the three witches of fate. Cause they (the hyenas) are rather stupid

D
    D
    mother: "Look at that interesting cloud."

child: "altocumulus lenticularis."

(I am loving the stories above...)

Last edited by DeeDee; 05/26/14 05:58 PM.
    N
    N
    Originally Posted by Cassmo451
    I think I just found a cheaper solution to my child's anxieties than therapy (not really but it's working for the moment)

BUBBLE WRAP!!!

She just told me, "It's hard to be angry at stuff when you are popping bubble wrap."

Hey, Cass, they have a bubble wrap keychain on ThinkGeek.com -- it's got four little bubbles on it, and I believe it makes the noise when you squish one. I don't actually have it, but I've thought about it as a stocking stuffer for my addicts. smile

My silly boy is working frantically on the last (or, rather, the first, because he didn't do them the first few weeks of class) four extra credit projects in his e-school video game design class, to bring his grade up. From 103.7 percent. Because it's "not high enough". He wasn't worried about his C in science that he got because he rarely turned anything in, but the video game design grade is killing him.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    mother: "Look at that interesting cloud."

child: "altocumulus lenticularis."

(I am loving the stories above...)

haha! I love this laugh I'd have been like "oh, I thought it looked like a bunny"

U
    U
    DS6 brought home a K math workbook (end of school, etc) and was cutting out some little flashcards on size, weight, etc. I found DD staring at the one on height, which had a picture of two identical trees, one "taller" than the other. It said "taller."

"This tree isn't really taller than the other one," she pointed out. "Look at the patch of grass under it, and the size of the branches. It's the exact same picture. They just enlarged it. It's really more like we walked from farther away from the same tree to closer to the same tree. Stupid book."

OP Offline
    DD, upon completing her analysis of how the post-9/11 air travel in the United States could be (at least) partially explained by the dot-com bust and economic factors which correlate nicely in other instances within the past 25 years...

I think I'm beginning to understand the Roman and Nazi obsession with data collection...

Uhhhhh... honey?? eek

It really irks me that I lack complete employment statistics prior to 1947. The Teddy Roosevelt years-- would I ever like to see that data.

Then she pauses, and adds, thoughtful...

You know, Miss Frizzle is the ultimate SCIENCE teacher.... but I think The Doctor would be my pick for History and Social Studies...

grin

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    A
    DS2.7 "outed" himself to a neighbor on the elevator yesterday. I'm never quite sure why he chooses the moments he does.

Neighbor: Which floor do you need?

DS: X please. We live in XXXX. We're the [surname]s [spells out name]. Thanks!

You never know what you're going to hear with DS. The other day when DH returned from work, DS ran up to him and announced in the tone of an Apache war cry, "Ahhhh-ga-ga-ga-ka-ka! Smart feller, fart smeller!" and ran away in a fit of giggles. So random.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 66 of 131 1 2 64 65 66 67 68 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM