Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 131 1 2 3 4 130 131
    D
    D
    you have no idea how touched i am, Deacongirl.

right now, my kid's primary survival tactic is to blend in, but i worry that if she's always shaping herself around others, she'll never have a friend who truly knows her. it gives me a lot of hope to think that there might be kids like yours out there who might really enjoy her for who she is. thank you!

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    M
    M
    I am LOVING this thread!

My other ds6 came home from school today (last day of k) 26 books in his bag- including an adult National Geographic hardcover book about North American animals. As I empty his bag, I see a book that is a present from his teachers- about animals. So, I say, "Wow, did you see this book?" "Yeah Mom. I'm giving it to my little brother. It looks like it's his level." Ok. He's definitely right.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    you have no idea how touched i am, Deacongirl.

right now, my kid's primary survival tactic is to blend in, but i worry that if she's always shaping herself around others, she'll never have a friend who truly knows her. it gives me a lot of hope to think that there might be kids like yours out there who might really enjoy her for who she is. thank you!

Well, I have to encourage you then. My dd was lucky enough to have a few friends (one in particular) who really got her when she was younger...but she has gotten very good now at picking girls who appreciate having enthusiastic conversations about feminism and justice and literature etc. etc. I wish I could have recorded the conversation in the car after I picked up her and her friend from The Great Gatsby. But even in a middle school with a lot of affluence and conspicuous consumption (and in a conservative county in a conservative state) she has managed to find kindred spirits and she is comfortable showing who she really is. She is leaps ahead of me at that age. I think just the fact that you are aware that this could be an issue for your dd is a huge step. She sounds like a very cool kid!

A
    A
    HK, does she like the film "The Royal Tenenbaums"? It's a personal favorite.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    A
    I love all your children! Amazing anecdotes. They sound like delightful people!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by aquinas

She hasn't seen it yet-- her favorite movie (I'm almost embarrassed to admit this even here) is Thank You For Smoking.

She is a young Nick Naylor. blush In fact, just today, she turned to me and said "You know, I quite like the sound of 'yuppie Mephistopheles.'" This was in the context of her assertion that Rob Ford needs her as PR person. Clearly. LOL.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    HK, her musical sounds great- certainly better than a lot that actually get produced.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by W'sMama
    HK, her musical sounds great- certainly better than a lot that actually get produced.

I agree! It sounds totally entertaining!

K
    K
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Originally Posted by aquinas

She hasn't seen it yet-- her favorite movie (I'm almost embarrassed to admit this even here) is Thank You For Smoking.

She is a young Nick Naylor. blush In fact, just today, she turned to me and said "You know, I quite like the sound of 'yuppie Mephistopheles.'" This was in the context of her assertion that Rob Ford needs her as PR person. Clearly. LOL.

Our family would love your dd's humour and sensibilities.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by deacongirl
    Originally Posted by W'sMama

I agree! It sounds totally entertaining!
    Yes!

Page 2 of 131 1 2 3 4 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM