Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Hello,
    I am looking for on-line math self-tutorial program for my teen. She has severe acquired dyscalculia and dyslexia. She hopes to return to school next year and is trying to re-teach herself to read and do math, with minimal help from me. My teen learns best by manipulatives and I am considering finding an on-line abacus math program. Can others recommend a good abacus-based math program. We are beginning from scratch.
    Similarly, can others good reading programs? Her reading comprehension is kindergarten-level, but she desperately wants on-line reading programs that are age-appropriate. I realize that may be a tough requirement.

I also realize there are different types of dyslexias, which may influence what type of reading program is best. I suspect at least some of it has to do with visual processing, as she is able to comprehend orally presented text at a higher level (~4th grade level).

Thank you.

F
    F
    If you don't receive good suggestions here, you might want to try the Learning Challenges board at the Well-Trained Mind website: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/forum/6-the-learning-challenges-board/

Best of wishes for a speedy recovery for your teen.

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Thank you flyingmouse and portia. We used MathUSee a few years back; my daughter liked it. I just reached out to MathUSee and they very kindly offered to work with us to see if there is a way to make the curricula work so that my daughter can use it independently. Fingers crossed!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    If you are looking for an online reading remediation program, with structured, sequential instruction beginning from phonological awareness and working its way up to comprehension, I believe there is a very short list, which includes Lexia:

http://www.lexiaforhome.com/
    http://www.rosettastone.com/homeschool/reading

They have an adolescent version, for remediation, which has a more age-appropriate interface, but the material should be the same in both versions, and you can license LexiaCore5 for home. That's only available to schools, though.

I have heard that the program is not quite as good as it was before Rosetta Stone purchased it, but it's still one of the few OG-influenced reading remediation software/webware packages out there that has a decent amount of evidentiary backing. And access to Rosetta Stone's platforms probably makes it easier to use.

Last edited by aeh; 01/28/16 03:03 PM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Here's another reading remediation program:

http://athome.readinghorizons.com/store/elevate/overview

It has online and paper versions.

Singapore Primary Math also has an online version, although it is intended for some guidance from a home instructor during the lesson, so it's not completely independent:

http://www.singaporemath.com/Primary_Digital_s/256.htm

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM