Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 205 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    In early October, I went to talk to the principal at my DS6's (first grade) school, about the possibility of having him under an individualized academic plan since I know he was advanced in reading and math. The school's gifted program won't start until 3rd grade. The principal told me that this is the first year they would have the first graders to take the MAP test (K-2). She said that they would look at the scores and would possibly come up with some kind of enrichment plan for kids who have scored well on the test.

My DS6 got 213 on math and 207 on reading, which put him at the 99 percentile for both. Before the school was out for winter break, I communicated with the principal and asked if they are setting something up and when they will start. She told me they were still working on it and would start some time after the winter break. Sounded like maybe soon after but not sure...

I've always wanted to have him tested and see if he qualified for Mensa and DYS. After scored pretty high on the MAP test, I finally took him to take the WISC-V test in December. I always knew that he's gifted but his score still surprised me. Here are the results:

VCI 133 99%
    VSI 155 >99.9%
    FRI 137 99%
    WMI 146 99.9%
    PSI 129 97%

FSIQ 150 >99.9%

He never reached the ceiling on block design, visual puzzles and digit span. So he is very superior in visual spatial.

I was going to wait until the school starts the new enrichment program and see if it is advanced enough for my DS. However, the psychologist who tested my DS recommended to send his full report to the school now (instead of waiting for the new program to start) and set up an appointment to meet with them in a couple of weeks to discuss options. He thinks that my DS needs even more individualized enrichment plan than whatever the school's new program is because most likely it won't be enough.

My question is: should I wait to see what the program is about or should I follow the psychologist's recommendation. The principal and my DS' teacher seem to be very supportive and willing to work with the parents on enrichment and individualized plans for advanced kids. I understand this is something extra for them to do so I don't want to be very pushy about it. On the other hand, my DS is not really learning a lot in school so the sooner he starts with enrichment the better.

My other question is in looking at his scores, does anyone have recommendations on what outside of school enrichment programs and activities he can do, especially if the school cannot do more for him? We do not prefer skipping grades.

Thank you in advance

P
    P
    Does the psycologist have personal experience with the school particularly thd principal?

L
    L
    I don't know what sort of gifted programs your school district has in place or is developing, but ours is average and doesn't start until 4th; they try to use in-class differentiation until then (with a bit of enrichment tossed in now and again, but inconsistent with no real tracking of growth), and it's not been enough for my kids. I've had to push for more, because the school tends to use delay tactics -- before you know it, the year is over.

First grade sucked a lot of school enjoyment away for both of my kids and both had a long recovery time (I didn't know better at the time). Neither has the DYS-qualifying PG scores of yours, but are 99th percentile, and one just skipped a grade (the other may later), because there are no compacted class offerings and it was the best option for our situation.

L
    L
    Originally Posted by longcut
    they try to use in-class differentiation until then (with a bit of enrichment tossed in now and again, but inconsistent with no real tracking of growth), and it's not been enough for my kids. I've had to push for more, because the school tends to use delay tactics -- before you know it, the year is over.

This.

I would be wary of the plan to offer enrichment in the future. Also, for a child like yours, it very well may be better than nothing...but not nearly enough.

We found our school administration wonderful about offering to help...until we actually asked for something (because differentiation was not leading to any growth - and this was documented by their own testing). Eventually, we realized that they were stalling and had no intention on doing anything different, so we now school outside of school (an imperfect solution, for sure). I hope that you have better luck than we did.

In terms of outside programming, have you applied for DYS?

A
    OP Offline
    A
    The pyschologist doesn't have experience with my school district, unfortunately. But I think he believes letting the school know the test result is better sooner than later.

A
    OP Offline
    A
    The gifted program for our school district starts in third grade. They pull out the kids from each class during the regular school hours to take either the Math or LA or both. I believe they are accelerated classes. They start off with regular third grade material but at the end of third, they will learn some 4th grade material.

We are in Illinois so the schools are not required and not funded to have gifted program. We are lucky to even have one in our district. I've heard people appraised the teachers in this program because they are very responsible and caring about the kids. I can't ask too much but still hope the school can provide differentiated curriculum for my DS to the best of their ability.

A
    OP Offline
    A
    We are planing on applying for DYS. Hope DS will get in so we can get more support and resources.

L
    L
    ajinlove - sending you a PM.

Our school system starts gifted program in 2nd grade.I have no idea what they do but some schools offer full time,others offer a pullout of an hour.That one had a Lego club afterwards.

A
    OP Offline
    A
    Loy58,

Just sent you a PM. Thank you!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations