Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 237 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I would like suggestions on making math fun - or am I better off phrasing it as looking for fun math activities? Thanks.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    So, that said: I have two goals when I teach my kids: 1. teach them that if they keep trying, they can understand something that looks "too hard" initially, and 2. don't make them hate learning by pushing #1 too much. Easy to write, hard to implement

Children develop self esteem by facing a challenge that looks difficult, maybe not even sure if they can accomplish it. Then accomplishing it. Isn't that the best? Who can argure that it's not just an awesome way to develop great self-esteem. Most kids get that during the course of the school day at some point. I will argue, not so in most cases for HG(+) kids.

Oh, do I ever agree. My kids do very well when they conquer something that seemed TOO HARD!

I agree with you: I feel it's the job of the parent to know when something really is too hard and when something is being avoided due to some type of fear or uncertainty.

In addition to addressing perfectionism and self-esteem, I find that this approach can help kids learn to persevere. By remembering "I thought I couldn't do [x] before, and I tried and I did it. Maybe I can do this too, even though it's hard."

Val

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Thank you - this is exactly what I'm looking for! Do you know what kind of math games they played? DS isn't doing any math over the summer, but we will be homeschooling this fall and I'd like fun to supplement whatever he ends up doing for math. I'd also like to use fun to get the math facts into long term memory, and to work on speed. I'm looking to restore the math joy - exactly!!!! Thank you.

Val #22608 08/12/08 03:07 PM
    Exactly! I am definately trying to cultivate that perseverance attitude in my children.

�It�s a funny thing about life: if you refuse to accept anything but the very best,
    you will often get it.� � W. Somerset Maugham

�Obstacles cannot crush me. Every obstacle yields to stern resolve. He who is
    fixed to a star does not change his mind.� � Leonardo Da Vinci

�Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead.�

� Louisa May Alcott

Perhaps I have been brainwashed, but to this day I don't believe there is anything I can't do if it is important enough for me!

Questions,

I hope you can figure something out, I don't think there are exact answers. DD8 did ultimately find memorizing mult. and div. facts "fun" when she used Alek's because it became a game to her. In fact, the pressure of the speed element seemed to enliven her, but another child may have an opposite reaction.

I think it's a matter of preference. Lots of people will argue that mental calculation isn't of as much importance because of calculators. Our girls seem to posess their father's math aptitude, so they will learn the calculations and are great thinkers as well.
    If a child is really resisting, it could be that they are not in a good place for certain learning at the moment. You could spend hours agonizing and pushing it, then both parent and child are miserable, when that child could easily and quickly learn it at a later time when they are ready.

We are all different in the way we learn and many of our paths will be different. Whatever works for you child is the best path for him IMO. smile

Oh BTW, sorry for going off track on your question/thread.

Maybe I can come up with something helpful if you give an idea of what he's currently doing in math that doesn't seem fun to him.

Try reading the math story books such as Math Devil. I would alternate between this, a workbook math and math computer games. He may also prefer word problems to plain calculation.

LMom
    LMom #22619 08/12/08 06:49 PM
    Mia Offline
    Have you tried Timez Attack? Try www.timezattack.com; you can buy an upgraded version, but it's all basically the same. It's a sort of RPG, but with multiplication facts as weapons. KG used to play that one a lot.

Or www.FunBrain.com? That's arcade style, multiple levels.

My KG suggests using easy problems. smile

Mia
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    If a child is really resisting, it could be that they are not in a good place for certain learning at the moment. You could spend hours agonizing and pushing it, then both parent and child are miserable, when that child could easily and quickly learn it at a later time when they are ready.

Yes, Neato, that's it exactly. Even his OT says he's not developmentally ready - even though he can do it. And he's definitely one of those I can't do it, it's too hard ... oh, that was easy! kids. For now, I just want to get the bad taste for math out of his mouth.

And I agree with what everyone said about learning not being fun all the time, and understand it. But I am looking for fun.

And good idea, Mia, to work on Timez Attack again. That's how he learned the multiplication tables. Those were tense times, with a sweaty mouse, under time pressure, LOL. That's the sort of stuff I think I should sprinkle into math. And he enjoyed the Number Devil CD. So I think before we start another formal math curriculum, we'll do some playing with all this stuff.

Good suggestions! Keep 'em coming. Thanks.

Have you tried just finding things he'd *want* to calculate? How far the earth is from the sun and each of the planets, for example (since science is his thing).

Sometimes it's all about the context.

Kriston
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM