Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 119 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Scores above 140 or so really are in that "holy crap" range regardless. And if the scores themselves are going up....look out!

So, even if the assessment we have isn't a complete one, should I be freaking just a bit over them anyways? I've been living in this world where because it's just a few subtests they don't really mean too much. Can I stay in that world? And, does it matter if at the beginning of Kindergarten (about 9 months before the test was taken) his teacher assessed his reading at a 2nd grade level and he wasn't doing any math at all?

I should clarify: *one* of his writing *subtests* was 17+y. I don't mean to mislead. His overall writing result was 10y6m. I just meant that when I saw a 17y9m. result even on a subtest, I REALLY freaked out! eek And I can promise you that in no way did he write like a high school senior at age 5! Not even a little!

He was in section B, Dottie. I didn't know what that letter meant, so thanks very much for the info! smile As always!

Kriston
    K
    K
    With two exceptions we are 140+ and our standard scores are based on her entering grade not her age (we jump k for 1st last year). I don't think they went up as last year they just wrote "150+" but that was compared to age and this was grade. But the writting thing is good news because I kept thinking "I'm certain I wrote better in jr. high"

I think at this point - and I bet there are a bunch of you feeling the same way - let's get this year started so we can move from worrying to solid success or issues.

Well... go MICHAEL P's GOOOOOOOOO!

K
    K
    Makes you wonder about the claim that over teh last 50 years school standards have dropped almost two grade levels. well EST demands bedtime ;-)

Originally Posted by Dottie
    And really....I don't care at all if someone's little guy outscores my daughter! I'm just trying to explain the shortcomings of the actual test process by describing both.

Oh, of course you don't! I didn't mean to cast aspersions, even indirectly. smile

I just looked back at my own post and realized that the way I worded it might have made it seem like DS7 did something he didn't do. I'm pooped after driving back from a long weekend trip this evening, and I think I just wrote badly there. Especially when it comes to scores, I want to be sure I'm as clear as possible so as not to misrepresent or mislead.

So, despite my confused post, my point is just to back yours: it IS ludicrous that my 5y9m old who is on the B level is scoring in the same sort of range as your 12yo working on the E level! There's little logic there that I can see. Writing is goofy on the WJ3!

Kriston
    K
    K
    Well, and that Michael won another gold!

I think what I'll walk away with is that her writting skills are probably close to par with her reading skills. And that when I think or talk to the school about meeting her reading needs I should clump that together as reading/writting.

Thank you.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets