Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 305 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Your title caught my attention because DS(third grade) was told he's to take swimming lessons this March at the pool where he had a bad experience when he was four.

We have told his teacher about the incident he endured at that pool, but I am sure she doesn't really understand. I'm considering opting him out of the lessons since my husband and I are making slow progress with him at home during the summers. DS likes to be in control and I just know this is a wrong turn for his progress!

P.S. DS screamed like crazy on elevators. It really sucked trying to go to the mall when he was in a stroller!

C
    C
    It's great that your counselor was able to work something out for the field trip!

If you can, it's probably a good idea to practice going on escalators when there is less pressure.

We are currently practicing dental visits . Today DD got as far as looking at the treatment room. I think this is going to take a lot of practice before we get as far as her opening her mouth. :-(

U
    U
    While I agree that suddenly forcing her to go on the escalator with no support is not a good idea, please work on this with her. Use a gradual approach to desensitize her--for instance, first look at pics of escalators, then watch YouTube videos, then watch peopl on them but don't get on, then ride a small one, etc. Push her just to the point of being a little worried every time and praise her a lot each time she succeeds. I spek from experience as an adult just getting over a truly bothersome and inconvenient phobia. My parents allowed me to avoid my fear for decades. It was absolutely the wrong approach and impaired me in my adult life.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    While I agree that suddenly forcing her to go on the escalator with no support is not a good idea, please work on this with her. Use a gradual approach to desensitize her--for instance, first look at pics of escalators, then watch YouTube videos, then watch peopl on them but don't get on, then ride a small one, etc. Push her just to the point of being a little worried every time and praise her a lot each time she succeeds. I spek from experience as an adult just getting over a truly bothersome and inconvenient phobia. My parents allowed me to avoid my fear for decades. It was absolutely the wrong approach and impaired me in my adult life.

She really enjoyed where they went and wants to return, so we will probably get an annual membership for the family and will have lots of opportunities to practice. smile

Last edited by mountainmom2011; 12/04/15 09:34 AM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM