Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 200 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    LAF Offline OP
    OP Offline
    DH and I need to get out and have some time for our marriage, which has been put on the back burner while we were trying to figure all the 2e stuff out. We finally have a kid sitter again that I can leave our kids with, but we are not really that into going to a restaurant/movie (unless it's a really great movie we want to see, which isn't that often). We both like to do things where we learn things, so dinner and a movie are not compelling enough to get two tired parents off the couch… I can come up with a couple of ideas on my own but would love people to give me some ideas too.. TIA.

B
    BSM Offline
    B
    Even if you can't think of anything specific to do, take the time for a date night anyway. My wife and I enjoy being able to just have a conversation with each other without 50 interruptions. smile

N
    N
    Is there a college or university near you? They often have events, speakers, etc, open to the community. We had a "Moth Radio Hour" type event recently that was fabulous. Is there a community college, museum, garden, historical or arts society? They often have lectures or one-night classes, or are just fun to visit without kids to watch out for. Speaking of one-time classes, stores will do that, like cookware or hardware stores. Chefs will host classes, too, so interesting even for this non-cook. Take a tour! Some are oriented to a particular interest, like a food tour, haunted sites (lots of history to be heard), literary or movie sites. Some tours are "do-it-yourself", where the stories are printed/online as you go. We've seen Segway tours that look fun, mainly because you get to try a Segway. How about geocaching on your own, without explaining to the kids?

Look for daytime activities as well as well as evening. We'd rather do something and then eat, rather than the other way around, or have lunch then the activity. Seemed like getting a sitter and explaining and arranging supper and bedtime for everyone was more work than the date was worth frown

F
    F
    Paint night? www.paintnite.com

I haven't actually tried it, but it has been on my radar.

Ice skating?
    Moroccan restaurant? (It's a different experience than your typical dinner date night).
    Bowling?
    Playing pool or ping pong?
    Go kart racing?

A
    A
    Ooh, I'll bite! smile

Ditto the local discussion series-- check out university departments that interest you, business incubators, museums, galleries, nature conservancies, cultural societies, churches, etc.

Creative activities-- glass blowing, ceramics classes/drop-ins, cooking classes, robotics labs, maker spaces (DH and I love building furniture together), improv

Learning something new together-- a new language together, massage classes, photography, sailing, etc

Do a sport together--rock climbing (bonus points because you can check each other out!), racquet sports, cross country skiing, kiteboarding, parasailing, etc. Choose something for which having kids around would interfere with your enjoyment/learning.

This is a favourite of DH's and mine: email each other interesting articles during the week prior to your date, then go for a walk somewhere scenic and discuss them.

Engage in climactic pursuits in public places. Not in a car.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    LAF Offline OP
    OP Offline
    thanks you these are all great ideas!!

A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    Live music at local dining. There are lots of talented amateur or semi-pro musicians performing covers or original music, often costing you no more than the cover charge. We like to drop in just for after-dinner coffee and dessert, which also keeps the baby-sitting hours shorter and simpler (you can get everyone ready for bed first).

Similarly dinner theatre/cabaret.

Many symphonies/ballets/theater productions have performances that are preceded by educational talks (and hors d'oeuvres!), which can add some cognition to the aesthetic experience. For a cheaper version, daytime/afternoon dress rehearsals of same can be fun, too. (Though generally without the talk, sometimes you do get to see bits of the behind-the-scenes process.)

And don't judge us too harshly...but we often combine date opportunities with not-so-happy social obligations, such as wakes/funerals, since we already have childcare anyway...

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 04/16/24 10:53 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM