Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    P
    P
    Prozac is harder to taper the dose because it is a capsule not a pill.
    i had brushing across the brain feeling and sound and thought I had a brain tumour.

BSM #225536 11/28/15 07:25 PM
    B
    BSM Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks everyone. He had a better afternoon. Managed to get some homework done, a shower, then had a fun time with his brother. He's still struggling with executive function and controlling his emotions, but we are happy (and exhausted) with his progress.

At this point, we have a psych appt a week from today so we'll have to play this week by ear.

It is so hard to tell how much of this is prozac and how much is puberty. Like I said, the symptoms started while he was on prozac, which lead us to conclude that it wasn't doing much if anything for him.

B
    BSM Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    1. Exercise-- IN NATURAL DAYLIGHT. No matter how overcast, it's still better to get that natural full-spectrum light.

2. MORE light-- full spectrum fluorescent bulbs can be had at any home improvement store-- beware that they can disrupt circadian cycles if you use them late in the day, but having one at your breakfast table or where he gets ready for school in the mornings might help.

2 is easy. We even had a special light for my wife's SAD that we use. Not that it seems to help but we try anyway.

1 is hard. He outright refuses to exercise most days, though he seems to enjoy gym class at school. I'd love him to get more, but he's at that age that I don't want to force him - the motivation needs to start becoming intrinsic.

BSM #225538 11/28/15 07:32 PM
    C
    C
    Could you get him out for a walk or hike with the family?

BSM #225540 11/28/15 09:51 PM
    Yeah-- that's the thing with affective issues, though. It might never be "intrinsic" the way that everyone would hope, because that is part of being depressed-- not WANTING to do it.

We (occasionally) still have to remind DD that this is part of her routine. Having it be a habit makes it stick better. She runs her little dog in the mornings-- that way it's not optional. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    BSM Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by ConnectingDots

We tried that three weeks ago, and the result was a screaming meltdown. He eventually came with us, and had a good time, but task initiation is a real problem. He feels as if he doesn't have control of his time and reacts very strongly to any perceived "work".

BSM #225543 11/29/15 07:30 AM
    M
    M
    What is it he likes about PE at school versus walks? Perhaps he would enjoy geocaching, hiking with a purpose might be more meaningful to him.

BSM #225544 11/29/15 07:35 AM
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by BSM

We tried that three weeks ago, and the result was a screaming meltdown. He eventually came with us, and had a good time, but task initiation is a real problem. He feels as if he doesn't have control of his time and reacts very strongly to any perceived "work".

I can understand this feeling, I'm not sure if my issues are just anxiety or anxiety comorbid with ASD, but when things don't happen in a predictable or expected way, especially when it comes to time, I get very anxious and upset.

BSM #225553 11/29/15 07:09 PM
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by BSM

How about just a ten minute stroll around the block before or after tea. Exercise doesn't have to be all or nothing and starting small helps.

BSM #225899 12/13/15 04:52 AM
    E
    E
    Hi BSM,
    Bumping this thread for hijack, possible discussion. smile

We are knee-deep in depression here. There seems to be a pattern in which ragweed/mold allergies set off a cycle into depression. He recovers and then spring allergies start the whole thing again. Admittedly, I'm just guessing.

DS isn't taking an SSRI because he had a weird reaction to Prozac and I thought it would be best to try something different over a school break.

I brought this up before, and there was some interesting discussion about it: DS psychiatrist offers DNA testing to help make better predictions about drugs. We just had his cheek swabbed and will have a new treatment plan in a week or so. Here are some things psychiatrist explained (I am not educated in science, so may paraphrase poorly):

The tests will provide some information about what stimulant class is likely to work best, and what would be smart to avoid.

Ditto for SSRI and SNRI.

Ditto other psych meds (mood stabilizers, antipsychotic, etc.)

We will receive a lengthy written report--I saw a sample and it's really cool.

None of that is really new info, but here are a couple of bytes:

Psych said DS' depression could (possibly) be more bipolar than unipolar, since he has a lot of anxiety and irritability mixed into it. He said in kids, it presents differently, and having a fast, unusual response to low dose of Prozac is a clue. If so, med implications are different.

And, this is the most interesting thing of all (to me). Psych said that fully 90% of kids on autism spectrum have a defect in the "MTHFR" gene, that causes problems metabolizing folate (B9). If you google that, there is stuff all over the place, science-y and holistic-y, etc. I won't pretend to understand or explain this in any depth, but folate has a lot of neuro importance. Doc explained very intensely and what I came away with is: if there is a genetic defect, it can affect both how the brain produces and uses important neurotransmitters like dopamine, norepinephrine, serotonin.

The testing DS is having will let us know if he has the MTHFR defect, among other important things having to do with drug metabolism (there are all sorts of ways drug metabolism can go awry).

There is a "medicinal food" called Deplin (by prescription only) that somehow bypasses the folate problem for people with this issue. If you google that, you'll find all kinds of people raving about how much better their antidepressants worked when supplemented with Deplin. I have no idea if they are shills or how real any of this is, but it's encouraging to me because (as far as I know) there is no downside to taking it.

The psychiatrist said--I think, don't quote me--that you can't rely on serum folate levels to detect a deficiency, something about the blood/brain barrier. Or maybe I read that somewhere else.

Also, newer antidepressant meds Pristiq, Fetzima, etc., evidently work to increase production and re-uptake, so if there is a problem with one or the other, the person is covered at both ends. <--please take my explanation loosely and feel free to correct me, anyone, if I've said anything glaringly inaccurate.

This is a commercial website, but it's the one for the lab DS' psych uses, and he assures me this is based on Mayo Clinic science and not quackery: genesight.com

The test is $330. They will bill insurance first, and if insurance won't pay--the company has a sliding scale, based on income.

As far as I know, this does have to be ordered by a physician, and the physician would have to understand how to use the report to create a treatment plan. DS' psychiatrist said it helps him make better predictions. Not a miracle cure, but helpful--we are hoping. Less suffering and more information can't be a bad thing.

Obviously, I have no idea if any of this is going to be helpful for my DS and ordinarily wouldn't even share the information, since we have no experience at this point. Since it is (relatively) inexpensive and noninvasive, and it sounds like he could possibly be helped by something as simple as a vitamin(!) it felt worth putting out there.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM