Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    _
    _Angie_ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    _
    Our school has a group of K students coming in that are 98%+ in IQ, which qualifies them for some kind of (less standardized) early AIG services.

We're all just trying to figure it out. Trying to share information, etc, but we all seem on slightly different paths.

We seem to be looking for different solutions to the same problem, too. Not surprising, right?

Another mom is really looking to set up some differentiation in K via the teacher and I've kind of decided we don't REALLY need that this year. I'm trying to line up SSA in math for next year and prepare DS for testing for that. Another mom is going to volunteer to do some 1-1 AIG pull out stuff and get trained by the AIG teacher in the school to work with the kids on the program. The pull out stuff doesn't wow me as the core instruction at the wrong level is more my concern.

Meanwhile we're still waiting indefinitely on our IDEP that is required by the district, to describe services that were supposed to start in November of this year.

I don't even know what to do next. Lots of moving parts and at the end of the day I'm not sure there's much of a point to ask for much differentiation this year, since DS is being somewhat challenged by his current immersion environment.

So I'm wondering ... what are your experiences? Is it helpful to organize? Or just a distraction? Depends on the situation?

I don't want someone using my chips/placing demands on my behalf. So far I've been quiet because I'm going to fight for the SSA next year. But if I don't speak, someone may say they're representing me as well.

A
    A
    Good question!! I'm in a similar situation right now ...

_
    _Angie_ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    _
    Good luck! Let me know if you figure it out first! smile

G
    GGG Offline
    G
    Wow. What state is that in? Our school district in CA doesn't care at all about incoming gifted Kindergarteners! I've been fighting for early K for our son for a year and half against a wave of opposition that says, "No one cares that your son is in the 99.5 percentile I.Q. and is almost at a 2nd grade level on his own, he'll be fine in Kindergarten, stop harassing us."

Since your on different paths, I'd say advocate alone.

Last edited by GGG; 11/24/15 05:21 PM.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by _Angie_

Ha, will do smile So far I'm going it alone but I do wonder if there is power in numbers. I can't quite get with the passive aggressive approach of the ringleader parent, I don't think they're very clear on what they want anyway, and it's all complicated by the fact the principal is leaving (favorite quote: "Gifted children can differentiate for themselves") so I'm just going to wait for the new (and hopefully improved) one before I get too involved

I wouldn't want to advocate in a group unless I was sure that the other kids are actual peers. All of the kids who I thought were my DS's level actually aren't, and not even close honestly.

If the other kids are real peers, you have a bit more of a case, but I'd be very reluctant hearing everyone's different goals.

_
    _Angie_ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    _
    Originally Posted by AvoCado
    Originally Posted by _Angie_

Ha, will do smile So far I'm going it alone but I do wonder if there is power in numbers. I can't quite get with the passive aggressive approach of the ringleader parent, I don't think they're very clear on what they want anyway, and it's all complicated by the fact the principal is leaving (favorite quote: "Gifted children can differentiate for themselves") so I'm just going to wait for the new (and hopefully improved) one before I get too involved

Ewww (the quote). Yeah I don't want to be in charge of anything. But I don't want someone else to screw it up for me, either. wink And as far as I can tell there's no way to avoid the implication someone is speaking for all of us. To hang back and say nothing does feel like settling for someone else's ideas. I wonder if the administration will be like we already did BLAH for you, now you want more!?

_
    _Angie_ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    _
    Originally Posted by DianaG
    I wouldn't want to advocate in a group unless I was sure that the other kids are actual peers. All of the kids who I thought were my DS's level actually aren't, and not even close honestly.

If the other kids are real peers, you have a bit more of a case, but I'd be very reluctant hearing everyone's different goals.

My son has a twin in his class IQ wise. When I go in and volunteer for math centers I slip the two of them real problems on the side and they love it.

Which still isn't to say though that his mom and I have the same solutions in mind. At all. But yeah it would be even harder if the kids weren't at the same level. shocked

_
    _Angie_ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    _
    Originally Posted by GGG
    Wow. What state is that in? Our school district in CA doesn't care at all about incoming gifted Kindergarteners! I've been fighting for early K for our son for a year and half against a wave of opposition that says, "No one cares that your son is in the 99.5 percentile I.Q. and is almost at a 2nd grade level on his own, he'll be fine in Kindergarten, stop harassing us."

Since your on different paths, I'd say advocate alone.

I'm sorry. smirk Yes we have things that are very standardized which I'm grateful for. Early entry K is one in our state actually that is pretty easy as long as you jump through their hoops. What I like is that, for the most part, the process is documented and well defined. It feels as fair as it could, I guess.

Good luck...

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM