Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    D
    Dubsyd Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    As I have noted in my other post, I am in a bit of a valley with DS at the moment. While we are going through the process of getting some assessments done, and getting on waiting lists for a good Paediatrician, non of which I can speed up, I thought maybe something I could do would be to start reading the current research on ADHD and ADHD management. Then at least if we get the diagnosis, I will be as informed as possible on ways in which we might proceed.

I just thought I would see if anyone had any research papers or other resources they would recommend I take a look at. Maybe some other parents would benefit from this kind of list as well.

Apologies if another similar post already exists. I had a look through previous posts, but didn't see anything.

B
    B
    The Wikipedia page is pretty good and has a lot of references on the bottom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attention_deficit_hyperactivity_disorder

D
    Dubsyd Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks blackcat. I will check it out.

I have just found the CHADD website's page for parents, and it seems to have some pretty good information with lots of links http://www.chadd.org/Understanding-ADHD/Parents-Caregivers-of-Children-with-ADHD.aspx

P
    P
    As a general reference, I have also found the ADDitude website helpful. It's a public info site, not reference, but from what I can see appears reasonably evidence-based and a good place to start. Lots of practical info on how to live with ADHD on a daily basis. You might also find some interesting articles on how to tease out ADHD from other or co-morbid issues. http://www.additudemag.com

I too am psyching myself up (no pun intended, not enough coffee yet for that) for a serious look at the research around medication. I believe there has been some new studies that may make the decision making rather trickier? If anyone has seen a solid and extremely recent review of the pros and cons of ADHD meds, that would be much appreciated here too.

D
    Dubsyd Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Cochrane is currently doing a meta analysis of research on a number of adhd topics including medication in children. I don't know when it's die to be completed, but I will definitely be interested in reading it when it is published. They have some published on effectiveness of non medication treatments and on medication in adults with adhd.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM