Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (jenjunpr), 300 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #22510 08/11/08 11:54 AM
    Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Has anyone discovered the Chaos Game ? It looks like a cool learning tool for geometric thinking and fractals. I just discovered it while reading a paper on DNA sequences. I got involved in the game and must now return to the paper...warning, highly addictive.

Val

Val #22511 08/11/08 12:02 PM
    Hm so tell me about the paper on DNA sequences!

I did see that game recommended somewhere.

Fun! DD8 matched novice best score second time. I'm e-mailing her the link so she can have fun with it.

Thanks Val!

Cool!!!

Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    Fun! DD8 matched novice best score second time. I'm e-mailing her the link so she can have fun with it.

Thanks Val!

You're welcome.

I found a site with some explanation about these ideas; the maths is a little bit advanced, but it's interesting: iterated function systems.

I worked through this myself without too much trouble; it helps to work out the examples rather than just read them (this time, I'm legitimately doing this to understand the paper I mentioned, but am still on page 1!).

Also, the Wikipedia has a cool illustration of a Sierpinski triangle and fractals.

Val

Last edited by Val; 08/11/08 01:48 PM.
    Val #22523 08/11/08 04:38 PM
    Very cool game, Val. I haven't showed it to DS yet (we are reading books and getting ready for bedtime), but I will tomorrow. But I'm certainly addicted to it!! I know what I will be doing for the rest of the evening!

But I agree with Dazey! I would love to hear about the DNA paper. My eight year old is fascinated with anything related to DNA, and he has me hooked as well. He reads books about mitochondria, RNA, gene sequencing, etc. And he loved the Standard Deviant's Biology tape and sat glued to it for over 2 hours. Do you have any resources for kids for learning about DNA? (Or for us stay-at-home moms who have degrees in science?) I would love suggestions.

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    ebeth #22531 08/11/08 05:46 PM
    We liked "Enjoy Your Cells" by Balkwill but it may not be as detailed for you. I read it w/ DS when he was 5 or so.

ebeth #22534 08/11/08 06:26 PM
    Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by ebeth
    Very cool game, Val. I haven't showed it to DS yet (we are reading books and getting ready for bedtime), but I will tomorrow. But I'm certainly addicted to it!! I know what I will be doing for the rest of the evening!

But I agree with Dazey! I would love to hear about the DNA paper. My eight year old is fascinated with anything related to DNA, and he has me hooked as well. He reads books about mitochondria, RNA, gene sequencing, etc. And he loved the Standard Deviant's Biology tape and sat glued to it for over 2 hours. Do you have any resources for kids for learning about DNA? (Or for us stay-at-home moms who have degrees in science?) I would love suggestions.

Hi EBeth,

The paper is pretty technical but is available for free; parents with a reasonable understanding of DNA base pairing and who are comfortable with advanced algebra will be able to follow it. It's actually well worth the effort because it talks about fractal-like patterns in DNA sequences. I found it to be very trippy stuff and well worth the effort.

Here's a link to the paper on PubMed Central.

Another paper commented on this one ~3 years later; you can also get it free at PubMed Central.

I also owe some people a small kit for extracting DNA from a piece of fruit. I'll try to get that together this weekend. Sorry for the delay, but a couple people told me they wouldn't get to it until summer and so I procrastinated.

Val

Val #22538 08/11/08 07:03 PM
    Hmm ok I can extract DNA, sequence DNA, radioactively tag DNA, insert DNA, clone DNA, make animals with inserted DNA, delete genes from animals ... but fractals and DNA....way out of my league! LOL.

Yes, speak slowly...I are a English major!

grin

Kriston
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM