Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #224796 11/03/15 09:02 AM
    B
    BSM Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Is this a new thing? We've had two teachers take this approach, assigning groups of kids to make powerpoint presentations on various topics.

That is fine. However, the teacher then states that the test will cover "the material in the powerpoints." And that material has been, frankly, horrible. It is incomplete, disorganized, and barely coherent in some cases. The teacher does not provide a "real" version of the material from which to study.

But this results in real issues for my 2e kid, because he wants to follow the rules by studying from the powerpoints, but struggles to do so.

This has happened twice just recently and we have not had a chance to discuss this approach with teachers yet. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this.

E
    E
    I haven't seen this, but I can easily imagine how confusing this would be for *any* kid, much less one with anxiety and social communication issues.

What I've found (and keep finding more) is that DS often does not have his story straight, when it comes to what teachers have said in class. I think this is a mx of his attentional issues and his communication issues.

As an example: he told me this week that an assignment for which he had a zero was one that he is not allowed to turn in, at all, even for partial credit. It was something really easy, so I don't think he was deliberately misleading me, though anything is possible. I emailed teacher for weekly check-in and mentioned this--teacher said that he told the class he was "putting zeroes in the grade book" until they turned in the assignment. Many of them hadn't finished it. DS either didn't hear or didn't understand or something. GAH.

My (belabored) point is, maybe check with teacher before deciding DS has the whole story. I'm always hesitating to ask questions, because I feel like I already take up more of their time than I should. Another poster here made the comment that it's not her job to make the teachers like her and I'm running with that, now. Very liberating. Or, at least, kind of liberating. smile

B
    BSM Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Yes, we have issues with getting the facts straight. Often DS thinks he knows what the teachers want and will not listen to us if we suggest otherwise.

In any case, we did bring this up with one teacher and have yet to hear back. Looks like we need to send her a few choice quotes from the new version of the IEP - the ones where he is supposed to receive "explicit instructions" and "checklists" for all assignments.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM