Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 121 of 268 1 2 119 120 121 122 123 267 268
    CFK #108021 07/28/11 07:07 PM
    M
    M
    I didn't notice anyone who understood, cricket3--too bad, it was a funny joke!

Happily, the kids share Frenchie's and my love for opera--I think they can relate to the emotional and aural intensity!

M
    M
    NAthan (2 years 9 months) is reading the level 1 BOB books. He picked it up and read it. Just like that.

So excited for him - he has been desperately sitting and staring at words in books - trying to make sense of them so that he can read like his big brother.

And now he is so proud of himself - reading books and words and stuff. My big boy laugh

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    E
    E
    My son attends classes at a local middle school which has a gifted magnet, though he is not part of it. He tried it briefly, and decided it was not a good use of his time, and has been taking online classes instead. Consequently there are some kids who are under the impression that he is "not gifted material".
    Recently he was bantering back and forth about band instruments with a few of the program kids. One, who is just kind of a snotty little thing in general, commented that his choice of instruments would not get him into college-- to which he said "Carnegie Mellon, Notre Dame, Simon Fraser, VMI..."
    "Oh, like you have a chance of getting into those!" <hairflip>

Funny thing is, he's far ahead of the magnet program in math, and does quadratic equations in his head (which I will assure you is not a trait inherited from me). He's ranked first in his class (including both the magnet and no). Perfect FCAT scores. But...y'know. He doesn't fit in the box our county deems "fits all gifted children", so he's clearly...not...in the eyes of some of his schoolmates.
    Fortunately, he's amused by it. We refer to it as "ninja gifted", because apparently no one can see him.

Last edited by eldertree; 08/07/11 06:11 AM.

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."
    E
    E
    Minnie, I keep looking for a "like" button!

If my son were to sing opera, no one would understand him. (His voice is changing.)

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."
    L
    L
    My 13-year-old twice-exceptional son finished his last performance as the prince in Once Upon a Mattress with his childrens' musical theater group. He did really well. The month long musical theater camp was five days a week with 7 hour days. It was difficult for him physically. Even though he had finished physical therapy it was difficult for him to do as much as the other kids when they practiced the dances and he had to sit and watch part of the time. Three days before the first performance he somehow hurt his knee and it hurt to even walk so he had to say his lines from a chair. He went back to physical therapy and his knee got better in time to do the show.

He was able to memorize his lines and do everything he needed to do to perform well even though he usually didn't get more than about six hours of sleep each night. Even with melatonin the brace that he has to wear for ten hours each night makes it very difficult for him to sleep. He usually had to use caffeine to wake up and Aleve for the almost daily pain, but he was able to do what he needed to do and he did it without any help from me. He only got about four hours of sleep the night before a local television performance, then he did the 7 hour rehearsal and an hour of physical therapy and still couldn't fall asleep until 3:00 a.m. the next morning. I don't know how he did it, but I am glad he did. The director told me several times that he was really pushing himself physically. He is learning to work through the pain to accomplish what he wants to do. I am very proud of him.

He also had to write a short play using the older kids in his group as the cast and then he had to act as the director and get them ready to perform for an audience. I think that was a really good experience for him.

M
    M
    Hi, Lori! I've been thinking of you lately, wondering how you were doing. Congratulations to your son! What a great accomplishment--I'm sure he's really proud of himself. Three cheers from everybody here!

DS(4.6)recently played Brain Quest (3rd-5th grade levels) with his eleven year old cousin and answered every question correctly.

Over the weekend, I had one of my son's car gauges (real) drop on my bare toes. It really hurt and he could see that. He burst out crying and said, "Not again!" (He had hurt himself earlier.)

I'm proud of him for his empathy.

I have to share this with people who may understand. No one in our real life gets why this is such a big deal to us.

Our almost 9yr old DD is halfway through a week long science camp. She is having the best time of her life. She is engaged, excited and raring to go each morning to get there as soon as possible. Our disengaged, underachieving, ADHD child who can't sit through one hour of school without wanting to pull her own eyelashes out is in a learning environment that excites her!!

Not a brag about anything particular that she has done, just that for once in her life she sees that learning can be fun. Oh, and she gets to a dissect fish tomorrow ... also fun!

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    F
    F
    Congrats! I am so glad that she is having the opportunity to experience learning in that way! Applause for you!!!!

Page 121 of 268 1 2 119 120 121 122 123 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM