Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 161 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    P
    P
    I'll second the suggestion to type the proofs.. or any math homework he wants/needs to. Also second spaghetti's suggestion to be sure he understands how to do the proofs.

It's tough knowing what's up when you can't see the graded work, but you could have your ds show you an example of what he's doing on his homework to check understanding.

Best wishes,

polarbear

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Dittos
    His geometry teacher is docking his homework and tests for spelling and hand writing on all of the proofs.

During conferences, I noted his 504 plan that gives him accommodation in these areas. His teacher told me, 'he does not give students a pass in any area. If they can't do all the work then they don't get the grade'.

This infuriates me. Your son has a disability with a legal document protecting him from discrimination, and allowing him to access his education. If the class was required to copy problems from the board, would the teacher refuse to accommodate a blind student? If a student was hard of hearing, would he refuse to let that child sit near the front of the class? What if a kid broke his arm? Would the student get marked down for poor handwriting until his arm was out of a cast?!!

If it were me, I'd be on the phone with the 504 coordinator today, demanding that the teacher get schooled in how to properly follow the 504. I would also want to see the tests to see how many tests and papers were effected by the teacher's refusal to follow the 504. Especially since your son is in 9th grade, and this grade will be in his high school transcript, I would want the grades changed to reflect how your student is performing in class, rather than reflecting the teacher's prejudice against a student with a documented disability.

Just me, but I wouldn't tread lightly. The teacher sounds like a jerk and you need to meet his bully-bombast with equal conviction.

smile

Last edited by syoblrig; 10/27/15 10:34 AM.
    Wait... so it's your DS's responsibility to ask the teacher for the papers that the teacher already agreed to send home to you? Which is the responsible adult: your DS, or the teacher??

I don't think you need to waste time defining a 504. He should know. If he doesn't, he'll find out soon enough. I second the recommendation that it's time to write to the 504 coordinator instead, with the following points:

- DS is currently earning a C in Geometry
    - DS's teacher has stated directly to you that the reason is because DS's scores are degraded for handwriting and punctuation
    - This is in direct violation of the 504.
    - You have asked for test copies to validate, the teacher has failed to provide them, and when asked about it, transferred blame to DS.

And ask for immediate intervention to resolve the issue.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Dude
    I second the recommendation that it's time to write to the 504 coordinator instead, with the following points:

- DS is currently earning a C in Geometry
    - DS's teacher has stated directly to you that the reason is because DS's scores are degraded for handwriting and punctuation
    - This is in direct violation of the 504.
    - You have asked for test copies to validate, the teacher has failed to provide them, and when asked about it, transferred blame to DS.

And ask for immediate intervention to resolve the issue.

Dude: precisely so.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM