Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Val), 215 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    OP Offline
    I don't know about the rest of you but I tend to Christmas shop throughout the year and hide things so I am not scrambling at the last minute.

I wanted to bring Electron Inks to your collective attention. I saw this at a science museum shop today. In essence, this company has produced a rollerball pen that writes with a conductive ink allowing circuits to be drawn and they also produce components that one may insert into the circuit.

It struck as being like snap circuits unchained - my DD loved Snap Circuits when she first had them. The look of pure astonished wonder on her face the first time we built the circuit the launches the spinner into the air is still one of my most cherished memories so far of stuff we have done together.

The possibilities are just short of endless really.

Here is the url to their website:-

follow this...

Last edited by madeinuk; 10/18/15 06:57 PM.

Become what you are
    B
    B
    Thanks for posting, looks interesting. I wonder which kit would be best to get if you don't know if a kid will be into it or not. They end up loving things that I didn't expect them to love, and show complete disinterest in things that I think should be fascinating.

U
    U
    Can we make this a Christmas ideas thread? I would love ideas for my game-obsessed 7yo. He is a pretty advanced game player. We have all the obvious stuff and are looking to expand our Euro game collection, as well as looking to acquire more short but interesting card games. I'll add some of our favorites for others to consider:

Quirkle
    Ticket To Ride
    Munchkin
    Hive
    Bohnanza (note: this is DS's favorite game but I find it tedious)
    Forbidden Island
    Carcassone
    Dungeon (kids like this, we don't)

Card games:
    Gubs
    Love Letter
    Pit
    Dutch Blitz
    Spot It (can be played by 3 and up and still popular for a quick round)

C
    C
    Settlers of Catan and its various expansion packs (might be included in lists of "obvious stuff?)
    Balderdash
    Apples to apples

Cards- fluxx, multiple themed variations

B
    B
    interesting card games (good for stocking stuffers):
    Archaeology: The Card Game
    For Sale
    Guillotine
    The Great Dalmuti
    Wizard
    Timeline (various editions)
    Saboteur
    Mystery Rummy (we have "Jack the Ripper")
    Incan Gold
    Coloretto

B
    B
    interesting board games:

--Survive: Escape from Atlantis
    --Power Grid (probably for older kids--it's not a quick game)
    --The Downfall of Pompeii (made more interesting if you make sizzling noises as you throw people--actually game cubes-- into the volcano)
    --Trans America (or Trans Europa)
    --Dixit (for creative, artsy types)
    --King of Tokyo

E
    E
    If you're looking to expand to "harder" games and Euros, I would recommend:

Agricola (classic farm-building worker placement game; might be a little too difficult at 7) (around 2 hours)
    Between Two Cities (newly published lightweight town-building game; plays quickly) (around half an hour)
    Cacao (tile laying point salad) (around 45 minutes)
    Dominion (the original deck builder game) (around half to one hour)
    Fresco (Place your apprentices to paint a cathedral; the most important part of every turn in choosing what time to get up in the morning. Yes, really.) (around an hour to an hour and a half)
    Lanterns (abstract tile placement) (around 45 minutes)
    Lords of Waterdeep (another fun worker placement game, with a D&D theme) (around an hour)
    Seven Wonders (card drafting civilization building) (around an hour)
    Takenoko (manage a bamboo garden for an adorable panda to eat; new expansion that I haven't played yet includes a female panda and babies) (around an hour)
    Pandemic (very similar to Forbidden Island, but with a more adult theme of saving the world from disease. New legacy edition (where you physically alter the game based on past events) is super tempting.) (around an hour to an hour and a half, I think)

A little easier but still fun for adults:
    Battle Sheep (abstract area control) (probably less than half an hour)
    Castle Panic (defend your castle from attacking horde) (around an hour, I think)
    Forbidden Desert (another cousin of Forbidden Island, but significantly harder. Cooperatively dig up parts to build a steampunk flying machine before you die in the desert.) (around two hours, maybe?)
    Set (collect sets of cards that are either all the same or all different in several attributes) (around fifteen minutes)

How about non-game ideas? What's everyone doing or getting this year?

Last edited by ElizabethN; 10/19/15 11:58 AM. Reason: add play time for one game
    U
    U
    Thanks for all the great suggestions! FWIW, DS is capable of pretty much any game he's ever tried. He is a shark for games with a superlong attention span. Considerations for us include length of game (under an hour is great--we only rarely have time for epic sessions) and whether it plays well with 2 or 3 as well as 4. Art and attractiveness/appealing aesthetics matter to DD, and she'll be his typical game partner. DD is not a fan, for instance, of Munchkin.

E
    E
    In light of your post, ultramarina, I edited mine to add play times for each game. Some lend themselves to (i.e., demand) multiple plays in a row, of course.

B
    B
    We have a bunch of slightly more "meaty" games but I don't know if they are still in print, or if they are easy to find at an affordable cost (it's possible to trade on www.boardgamegeek.com though, or look in their marketplace for used copies).

El Grande
    St. Petersburg
    Zooloretto
    Oregon
    Oasis
    Thebes (this is one of my favorites and DS8 was able to understand it, no problem. It is very luck-based though in terms of who wins)
    Stone Age
    Rumis
    Flash Point
    Australia
    Alhambra

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets