Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline

Become what you are
    L
    L
    "eliminating the program would save $10,000" sweet merciful, they are fools. frown

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Milpitas story
    Milpitas Post reader Stacy Shupps Brobst posted on the newspaper's Facebook page: "Bad move for those that need teachers that know about GATE students' needs. Their needs will not be met within the regular curriculum. Too bad. I bet many will leave."

The ironic thing is that the gifted kids whose parents will finally say, "Enough; homeschool" or "Enough; private school" are helping to push up the average scores on those high stakes tests that the schools are so beholden to. So the schools are not exactly helping themselves there.

Not that GATE programs are anything super-special anyway, but it's so sad that even that scrap from the table of education is gone, too.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Milpatas story
    ... two of them [school principals] felt that putting students with varying academic and creative levels inside the same classroom could create a richer learning experience for all of them.
    What these two administrators felt seems closely aligned with the first three myths about gifted students on this list by NAGC.

It is bad policy to base educational decisions and pedagogy on what administrators feel, rather than on empirical evidence, such as that which is mentioned in footnote 2 in the Myths about Gifted Students, presented by NAGC.

Research exists to counter the view expressed by the administrators, and inform best practices: http://www.casenex.com/casenet/pages/virtualLibrary/gridlock/groupmyths.html
    http://www.gifted.uconn.edu/nrcgt/reports/rbdm9204/rbdm9204.pdf

As a separate issue, the article states that the rigor of Common Core was cited as a reason the GATE program should be dissolved. To determine whether Common Core is more rigorous than the standards previously utilized in a school, one would look at the "alignment" process:
    - If a standard/lesson/curriculum component was moved down one or more grades during alignment, Common Core is more rigorous about that standard/lesson/curriculum component than what was previously taught in that school.
    - If a standard/lesson/curriculum component was moved up one or more grades during alignment, Common Core is less rigorous about that standard/lesson/curriculum component than what was previously taught in that school.

P
    P
    The intermediate (junior high) that my son will attend for years 7/8 are doing away with their self contained extension classes after this year's intake because 'research proves mixing kids up is beneficial to all'. It was the one bright spot on the horizon even though it was for tge top 15% achievers not gifted.

I
    I
    puffin, do they specify what research proves the inclusive classroom is beneficial to all? (Or is this unsubstantiated, like college board stating that changes to SAT are based on research, while withholding the source of the alleged research?)

Meanwhile the article states that "the first opportunity to take advanced classes would be in eighth grade, with advanced math offered... we don't think that is appropriate in the early grades." It is difficult to see how this would be beneficial to all.

P
    P
    According to the person who told me the principal admitted that research could be found to support most things but the Modern Learning Environment is the in thing in NZ at the moment. Too bad if you are a gifted introvert.

The secondary problem is that there is at this point an extension programme in high school but the kids need to be accelerated to get in and most of those that apply successfully are from the one private school in the city and the Catholic school because they allow the children to work at more advanced levels. The one across the road that is losing the extension programme really only offered enrichment and relatively few of the kids made it into the high school programme. I might try to work with the principal to do AOPS or something. It has never been done as far as I know but maybe there can be a first time.

Last edited by puffin; 10/17/15 01:48 AM.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by puffin
    According to the person who told me the principal admitted that research could be found to support most things
    While they may be speaking in truisms, they have not substantiated that their decisions were driven by research. All research is not equally valid, credible, or applicable to a situation. When one points to the underlying body of research, it can be opened to scrutiny: timing, methods, participant selection, sample size, etc... and individuals can determine how much faith to place in the research results.

Meanwhile you are wise to remain wary of their unsubstantiated claims.

I might try to work with the principal to do AOPS or something. It has never been done as far as I know but maybe there can be a first time.
    Absolutely. smile Creating opportunity based a child's readiness and ability.

Interesting that the article seems to replace the term gifted with "different", "creative", or "accelerated".

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM