Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    A
    A
    (Sorry, OT re Dickens!) Thanks for the insights. Not maxed on historical fiction - Little Women, 20000 Leagues, Treasure Island, etc. Just mentioned an interest in Dickens, no idea how she even came across him! She's familiar with the Xmas Carol story as it's adapted a lot, but we actually own Great Expectations, so we'll see. Maybe I'll just read her some excerpts to satisfy her curiosity. Like that ever works smile

Originally Posted by SynapticStorm
    * My father explained the value of being typical over exceptional

Is that a Right?

A
    A
    Right:

My parents always acted like there was nothing particularly unusual about us, accepted our interests (even when they were weird-for-age), answered questions, and provided a generally intellectually stimulating environment without us really noticing it being unusually intellectual (perhaps because their adult friends also gifted adults with smart kids who were also mostly a few years older than us).

I wouldn't say I thought particularly much about being gifted though I was sent off to a gifted public school in 2nd grade, and was certainly aware of why I was sent to that school. I don't think any kind of big deal was ever made about this at home.

Cons:

Because we moved several times, I was the only kid in the family to have gifted services before the 4th grade. And I don't remember it being particularly challenging even then, though I loved the class.

Little to no help applying to and selecting an appropriate college -- I was certainly capable of getting all the paperwork 'n' stuff done on my own, but some parental wisdom in choosing the right college would've done wonders.

M
    M
    My parents have been unsupportive of my interests all my life but the flip side of that coin is that they left me to do whatever I wanted.

I don't think I am making the same mistakes as my parents did but I do wonder if I'm making the opposite mistakes. I think I am getting too involved and need to give DD some space to grow on her own.

_
    _
    What an interesting thread! I think about these things too... for context I think my IQ was tested in the mid 140s, I'm not entirely sure.

Not so great:

My mom told me several times "I just don't understand you." That really didn't help with my insecurities.

My parents thought I was just lazy when I just couldn't seem to get my stuff together. It was a high school teacher my freshman year that finally helped me turn things around. Every day he told me I was a good student. smile I became one.

My dad made me feel like a complete antisocial weirdo when I found my passion in high school and started teaching myself programming. They took away my computer. Crazy thing? My dad is a software engineer. He should have understood my love of it. Today I'm a successful software engineer and I can code WHENEVER I WANT. wink

I was depressed in junior high and basically spaced out for 2 years of my life. Why in the world did my parents not get me help?

The great:

Library reading clubs, gymnastics, swimming, art classes, summer gifted camps... From about 4th grade on (when I started in a self contained gifted class at school) I really felt supported to learn and try whatever I wanted. I wouldn't say it was always hard enough for me but it was close enough that I really enjoyed it. And, I had a peer group of gifted kids. So great!

My dad explained everything in the world in terms of physics and math. He loved to make those concepts accessible to kids. I wish I could do that! It was amazing. We traveled all over the US on summer vacation and there was always physics. Grand canyon? Physics. wink

My dad and I would sit and do math puzzles together. smile It was kind of our time. I have some great memories from that time.

I was a twin and my sister did not test gifted. They managed to meet both of our needs without making us feel bad about it either way. My twin got better grades than me until college.

I don't see myself approaching parenting in a hugely different way. The only thing I really try to change is understanding and empathizing with my son more. I know that despite being gifted he still has his own stuff he needs to work through and handle. I get that gifted doesn't automatically equal easy success. I'm not sure my mom ever knew what to do with a gifted kid that didn't get good grades until high school!

Also, my 5 year old already thinks through logic better than most adults. If that kid wants to develop software, I will teach him myself. Currently he's enjoying an airplane obsession though.

G
    G
    You did an easy major and/or went to a easy college/university. That's how you got highest honors. Is that correct? Someone correct me if I'm incorrect.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM