Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #223790 10/13/15 04:31 PM
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    Anyone want to take a gander at these results? I only have the scores right now. Summary will be gone over in about 2 weeks.

Some background: Ds9 (almost 10) was tested for entrance to a private gifted school. We have been working with his public school since kindergarten to provide more for him. It has come to a head this year with him crying every night that he just wants to learn. He was tested in 2nd grade for our magnet program . He didn't get in as he had a bad test day. (they gave only perceptual and verbal on the old WISC-IV).

He says he is having problems focussing at school (his mind is wandering). He is a strong student, a rule follower. Gets extremely upset when others don't follow the rules. His MAP scores for the spring 2015 (3rd grade) reading 237 and math 253.

WISV-V 9 yrs 10 months

scale scaled score comp score percentile
    Verbal 29 124 95
    visual spacial 31 132 98
    fluid reasoning 37 151 >99.9
    working memory 26 117 87
    processing speed 21 103 58

FSIQ 134

he hit the ceiling on figure weights with a 19 and 18 in matrix reasoning

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    With over an SD between his fluid reasoning and the next closest index score, he is likely a highly conceptual and abstract learner, whose strengths will become more and more evident as primary academic demands leave rote and foundational skills behind. Consider that, though his visual spatial score is in the GT range, and his verbal comp score is close (MG by some standards), the gap is wide enough that even those strong abilities lag behind his ability to grasp abstractions and think adaptively. I wouldn't be so sure that his performance in second grade was purely because he had a bad test day, as the FRI includes a measure for which there was no analog on the WISC-IV (quantitative/algebraic reasoning, in the figure weights subtest).

When the index scores range 48 points, the FSIQ is not terribly representative, I think. Even the GAI may not capture his peak potential (although it does weight the FRI more heavily than just 1/3--40%, in fact), with a 27 point range among the indices comprising the GAI.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    The scores I sent you in PM are from kindergarten. I don't think I even received the breakdown from the school on the partial WISC they gave.

N
    ndw Offline
    N
    Our DD was tested on SBV at a similar age. Different test obviously but she scored a similar profile in that FR was off the charts and VS and quantitative reasoning were also very strong. WM was not bad but significantly lower.
    She hates rote learning and cried through times tables memorization.
    But, aeh could have been describing her academic path. As she left primary behind and delved into algebra and higher level maths and the sciences she took off. Discovering algebra in fifth grade made a huge difference to her life.
    I hope things will improve for your DS but it took two grade skips for our DD to get where she needed to be in order to feel as though she was learning. Is that on the cards at all for your son?

F
    OP Offline
    F
    not in our school district. They don't believe in acceleration. That being said, we have an awesome magnet program for HG kids. The gifted program is really non existent other then the magnet.

N
    ndw Offline
    N
    I wish you luck. I hope you find a path that gives your DS the opportunity to learn and be happy. It is hard to watch when they are miserable. I feel for you.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM