Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 213 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    H
    HappyJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    I submitted my DD8's DYS application last month and received notification that the application was complete. I am curious to see by what date others received the decision on their application. I find myself checking multiple times a day - the email said a decision would be made before the end of the month (October). I am in the process of setting up an IEP/ 504 meeting at school (for dysgraphia) and would love to have DYS guide me through this process. When did you receive your DYS decision?

E
    E
    I'm sad to have to tell you that most people seem to receive their decision around the last weekday of the month. But we can probably help you if you tell us more about what is going on.

I
    I
    An old post may help manage your expectations: It is my understanding that services do not begin immediately, but rather once a family is informed that the child has qualified as a DYS, the family can choose to follow through with the DYS registration process by completing forms providing further information to DITD, about the qualified child.

Meanwhile, the forums contain many posts answering specific IEP/504 questions with guidance. Helpful resources include:
    - the website Wrightslaw
    - the book From Emotions to Advocacy
    - Understood.org
    - ADDitude online magazine

C
    C
    If you completed it in September, then I would expect you will hear the last day of October, or perhaps early the following week. Don't worry if it isn't until late that day.

H
    HappyJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    My DD8 in a nutshell: qualifying scores for DYS. She is in a contained gifted 4th grade class (skipped 2nd grade + single subject acceleration for math) with 5th grade math instruction. After school she is enrolled in Art of Problem Solving's Algebra course.
    The concern is her frustration with writing - she is the slowest writer in her class which is very frustrating for her. I suspect her brain is working fast and her hands cannot adequately keep up processing it into logical writing. Teachers do not seem worried (but have a class of 31 kids). Homework is frustrating when it includes writing - sometimes takes an hour to produce 3 sentences. She can type well and does much better typing than writing. I would like to explore getting her accommodations in class to lessen the frustration.
    She is very motivated - I caught her practicing writing late at night in her bedroom. She said she had been writing for an hour every evening so she could get better. She copies math problems from an old workbook and experiments with different ways to write cursive...
    I expressed concern to her teachers and an initial IEP/ 504 meeting was scheduled to see if anything would be done to start the process. The meeting was cancelled and no new date has been set yet.
    I don't want to get my hopes up for accommodations but would like to get through the process well prepared to maximize our chances. She was tested in Kindergarten for a requested grade skip - discrepancy of 60 points between reading fluency (166) and writing fluency (106). No further testing was recommended by the psychologist (done at school).
    I would love to hear ideas on how to advocate. As of yesterday she had a "work lunch" and "work snack" at school trying to catch up on writing for projects she was behind on. This morning we homeschooled (on fun algebra to get her happy).

H
    HappyJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    thanks Indigo.
    I was not familiar with ADDitude but have looked at and purchased the others previously. Good information.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by HappyJP
    dysgraphia
    Here are a few resources from which you may be able to glean ideas for meeting your child's needs:
    - Davidson Database - Interventions for Dysgraphia
    - LD online - Dysgraphia Accommodations & Modifications
    - Wrightslaw - Understanding Dysgraphia
    - Wrightslaw - writing

Originally Posted by HappyJP
    I would love to hear ideas on how to advocate.
    For advocacy approaches in general, there are several posts including resources which may be of interest.

H
    HappyJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    THanks for all the feedback. I will be doing some reading. Does anybody have specifics to share on what reasonable accommodations I can request for the school to consider? What testing has the school done for your child concerning slow writing? I am hoping for more keyboard use and less writing, as well as some extra time for tests. She is generally well-rounded AG.

H
    HappyJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    I just received a note from school that a meeting is scheduled for later this week to "help determine if accommodations are necessary, and to develop a plan if needed"
    Would it be wise to postpone the meeting until I might have some help from DYS, or do you think it would be best to get the process started? I am worried of missing opportunities by doing this the wrong way..

C
    C
    I'm out of the country so DYS isn't an option but I will say that this has been a long road for us and a matter of building things up slowly. Our first IEP wasn't perfect but it was an improvement over what we had and we slowly improved it over the years. Our system sends them home 4 times a year and there are lots of opportunities to request changes. I also have found that even if the IEP is perfect it still comes down to the teacher that is implementing it. Some years the IEP isn't really needed because the teacher is going way above and beyond. Other years, we need every word so that we can try to hold the teacher accountable (assuming they are actually capable).

It took me awhile to realize that I was in for a marathon not a sprint and that I needed to pace myself properly. Of course YYMV.

ETA - went back and reread a few posts (sorry for rushing and not reading more the first time). In my experience with my 2e DS that also has writing issues the schools/teachers were fantastic at allowing and recommending accommodations. Most elementary teachers are extremely empathetic and concerned when kids are obviously struggling. Most of our fun has been on the gifted side.

Last edited by chay; 10/20/15 08:14 AM.
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM