Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 241 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by aeh
    exegesis

smile

Well, if you want the ones that include proper spelling and aren't written by someone with a mullet! Uh oh...! wink

Good catch, aeh! smile

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Originally Posted by aeh
    exegesis

smile

Well, if you want the ones that include proper spelling and aren't written by someone with a mullet! Uh oh...! wink

Good catch, aeh! smile

Gee, I didn't know you had a mullet, aquinas!

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Originally Posted by aeh
    exegesis

smile

Good catch, aeh! smile

I didn't know you had a mullet, aquinas! wink

An easy oversight-- I usually refer to it as a femullet in casual conversation, Val. laugh

What is to give light must endure burning.
    T
    T
    I believe there is mention of "spiritually gifted" in International Handbook on Giftedness (2009) by Larisa Shavinina. Given though that many don't accept or agree on what is meant by gifted, nor by spiritual, I don't anticipate either discussion or agreement on this subject. But I think its valid.

We are an atheist family in the Deep South, so that works out about as well as you'd expect. My family (not from the South) is quite religious as well. Like aquinas, I went through that twentysomething phase of diving deep into religion and history, but I came out at the other end (I was decidedly less impressed by Thomas Aquinas, for instance).

Yeah, it's definitely easier if you have clear beliefs. Over time my DD10 has learned to guard her beliefs in public, but she's very much interested in exploring this, so we send her along with her friend to church and summer retreats, she goes along, blends in, asks the occasional question, and then comes back to me for a different perspective. Since I'm pretty well versed, I can give her a multitude of different interpretations, but she tends to want to cut through all of that and get straight to mine.

It was just this past weekend where I delivered a defense of the Mosaic food prohibitions in a society ignorant of germ theory.

We did the whole Santa/Easter Bunny/Tooth Fairy thing, and having had that experience in an atheist family has done a wonderful service for teaching DD the perspective of believers. This is one of the primary reasons why she does not say things that her religious friends might find offensive.

As for how you might handle this sort of thing... have you considered exploring this together with your DS? Is it something you're actually interested in? If so, you could be reading adult-level literature, and sharing what you learn with him. If you're interested, I can recommend some resources via PM.

Also, I think this is an excellent answer that more people should apply more often: "I think this is probably the answer, but I could be wrong."

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Dude,
    Sure, you can send me resources via PM. I think it would be a good idea to get some sort of perspective myself before sharing ideas with DS, since he's so young. Maybe if he was older we could "figure it out together" but I don't think that will work so well with an 8 year old. As bright as he is I think he's probably too young to figure out what is BS and what might be valid once you dive into it deeply. We did watch another PBS thing, one on Noah's Ark (basically it stated that this "story" and other stories in the Old Testament actually come from Babylonian mythology). He seems to understand that totally, but then makes bizarre remarks about how reading the Bible will give him good luck.
    Thanks again, everyone who commented--I appreciate the fact that we can have discussions like this on this site without it turning ugly.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM