Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    AvoCado Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I'm not in the US, so hopefully elementary (grade school?) is the right term smile Would you skip your child a year into the last year of primary school? I asked for a skip last year which would have been perfect but the school is very anti skipping. I let it go as a lost cause, but am fired up again for next year (school year ends in December and starts in February).
    But I have reservations about skipping DD into that final year, that all the students have been working towards all this year, where they finally get to be house leaders, crossing guards etc. Where they've all known each other for 6 years … Does it being the highest year in the school affect the IAS points? Is there some conventional wisdom on this?
    This may be all hypothetical as the school won't like it, but we're nearly at the point where something has to be done …
    Thanks smile

From what I remember of the IAS, it should be fine.

If anything, skipping across grades and buildings, e.g. Primary school -> Junior school is considered risky. This is because the child would have to adjust to new teachers, new peers and a new environment as opposed to just new peers which the same staff essentially and the same environment.

Were I in your shoes I would be pushing hard for this given that the next possible skip would be across schools.

YMMV

Last edited by madeinuk; 10/05/15 05:00 AM.

Become what you are
    L
    L
    Skipping the last year at a school to jump to a new school rates lower on the IAS (more points is better). Still being at the same school after skip is considered less of an issue, as they get to participate in the transition process.

In my opinion/experience - if a skip is warranted, skip now. Don't wait for the perfect time, because the perfect time was probably a year before you realized a skip might be needed.

Though the time scales are different, I'm reminded of the old saying about planting trees: the perfect time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.

Best of luck,
    --S.F.

For gifted children, doing nothing is the wrong choice.
    G
    G
    Originally Posted by AvoCado
    I'm not in the US, so hopefully elementary (grade school?) is the right term smile Would you skip your child a year into the last year of primary school?
    But I have reservations about skipping DD into that final year, that all the students have been working towards all this year, where they finally get to be house leaders, crossing guards etc. Where they've all known each other for 6 years …

I have mentioned this several times on this forum, but our DD accelerated mid year from 4th to 5th (5th being the last year of elementary here in this area). I, too, was worried about her moving into class with older kids, but at least in our case, kids come and go all the time so it wasn't unusual for a new kid to come into class. She actually knew most of the kids and after a week or so the novelty wore off of a "little kid" moving on up into 5th grade (expect lots of questions from parents and kids).
    I read your post, and when you mentioned the crossing guard point, I had to laugh. Being part of "safety patrol" is a big honor of 5th grade here. I was so excited that DD could participate even though she didn't move into 5th until February. She dumped that notion right away. Had absolutely no interest in helping kids cross the road or get out of the car at car pool. I should have known. DD is not the typical kid. crazy grin

C
    C
    But but but the cool neon belt!!!!

ETA my kid rejected the belt for what was called AV club back in my dad.

Last edited by Cookie; 10/09/15 08:41 PM.
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by AvoCado
    But I have reservations about skipping DD into that final year, that all the students have been working towards all this year, where they finally get to be house leaders, crossing guards etc. Where they've all known each other for 6 years …

I can't help with info on the IAS, but I think that I'd not put too much worry into skipping into a class that is in their last year at a school. Two of my kids have been through that "last year" scenario with it's long-awaited "perks", and from my perspective, the perks they perceive as perks and look forward too - they aren't looking forward to them from an "I deserve this and someone else doesn't because they haven't been through x# of years of school" perspective as much as they are simply excited they finally get to do that (themselves).

The fact that the kids have known each other for 6 years - you're going to get a bit of that in whatever class/age/grade level you choose to skip. It might be a bit easier to blend in without being noticed if you skipped during the transition from elementary to middle school, but there are also so many other things that go on during that time - drama due to hormones starting to kick in, drama due to kids from different elementary schools being thrown in together and friendships changing, having to change classes, getting used to a new school etc. Plus you'd have put your child in the situation of potentially being bored and inappropriately placed for academics for another full year.

So, jmo, but I wouldn't worry too much about a skip going into 6th grade - I'd focus on what your dd needs in terms of academics and go from there.

Best wishes,

polarbear

A
    AvoCado Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by SFrog
    the perfect time was probably a year before you realized a skip might be needed

Oh I wish I could go back in time because I know exactly the year/teacher she should have skipped!! smile

In terms of being a monitor/house leader/crossing guard, I think you're right polarbear that the kids are just excited about getting their chance. Perhaps I feel like it's the school that will make it seem like DD's not ready for those responsibilities yet because she hasn't had an extra year building up to it smirk

Thanks so much for your comments everyone, I need a bit of a boost to be brave enough to draft a request to the school today!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM