Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    K
    Kombre Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thanks to everyone who has responded. These insights are so helpful.

We do a lot of learning/exploring outside of school, too, via CTY, Beast Academy, Khan Academy, learning about politics, geography, etc. My kids also go to a weekly language class (their heritage language) on the weekend and that is the most challenging academic experience they have, which is so good for them (also good socially). We travel a lot, we read a lot, etc etc. They play instruments. They do sports. So I wholeheartedly agree with those who have said that this outside stuff is important. I don't expect the school to do everything.

But - my DH and I both work full time and my kids are still young and while they love to learn, they also want to play and sometimes they need free time to just chill out after school, you know? So the balance can feel off sometimes. And as much as we model learning/exploring at home, I feel their school experience is teaching them the opposite - that school is not really a place for true learning. I hate to see that attitude developing.

I like the idea some of you raised about suggesting a book/online curriculum they could use for those times they are otherwise just sitting alone working on worksheets. Perhaps I can try that.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Kombre
    And as much as we model learning/exploring at home, I feel their school experience is teaching them the opposite - that school is not really a place for true learning. I hate to see that attitude developing.

Do you have any charter schools in your area? Or schools with a project-based learning philosophy? Any other school options at all? Not necessarily gifted schools, just anything different than where your children are at the moment?

polarbear

K
    Kombre Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    polarbear -

Our district is very small so there is only one elementary school, one middle school, one high school. No charters or anything else. We would have to move to another (larger) district or look for a private school.

Is homeschooling any kind of option for you?

That is another fallback position when you give up the advocacy fight as a lost cause. Not saying that everyone can do this-- and certainly, I wish that it weren't the least-worst option out there for families, but that is a pragmatic thing in some cases.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    K
    Kombre Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    It's really not. We both work full time and can't change that for any real length of time (nor would we want to). Nor do I think I'm equipped to homeschool in a well-rounded way. It does sound appealing sometimes, but it's not realistic for us.

B
    B
    If you decide to go to another district, you may want to rent something and try it out before making a commitment (we may end up doing the same)

C
    C
    polarbear -

Our district is very small so there is only one elementary school, one middle school, one high school. No charters or anything else. We would have to move to another (larger) district or look for a private school.

Is there any chance the principal would read A Nation Empowered and be open to acceleration in math? I know you said he doesn't want to do that, but the evidence is pretty compelling that it is a low-cost, useful option.

P
    P
    polarbear -

How far away from another district are you? Within driving distance?

T
    T
    For me the question became, should I spend my time and energy fighting with the administration, or just spend it teaching my kid.

Private schools, even those using the word gifted, are not always a solution. I would also consider home schooling.

Additional food for thought: "School Administrators as Politicians" http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/223700/

Last edited by thx1138; 10/12/15 11:19 PM.
    K
    Kombre Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    polarbear - we are walking distance from the other district. the line is a few houses down from ours.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM