Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 205 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    BSM #223399 10/07/15 10:20 AM
    E
    E
    Our NP made a recommendation that DS has a "safe person" at school. This recommendation wasn't implemented (of course). Is that something your school people talk about?

Yup on the approach being so important to gain compliance. DS here can look like a doorstop (or worse) if I try to get all authoritarian with him. Angry voice? Forget about it...he hears "anger" when it's actually much milder (frustration, annoyance). Interestingly, he also uses "anger" to describe any confusing emotion of his own...

Originally Posted by BSM
    Are you implying that logic and public education don't always go together? smile

I'll let you reach your own conclusions. I have always found it interesting that institutions that (supposedly) value knowledge seem to be just about the last to implement it. It would be very easy to supply the school with a mountain of research that punishment just doesn't work for any child, long term. I'm not suggesting that, btw. smile You have more important things to do.

B
    BSM Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    Our NP made a recommendation that DS has a "safe person" at school. This recommendation wasn't implemented (of course). Is that something your school people talk about?

Yup on the approach being so important to gain compliance. DS here can look like a doorstop (or worse) if I try to get all authoritarian with him. Angry voice? Forget about it...he hears "anger" when it's actually much milder (frustration, annoyance). Interestingly, he also uses "anger" to describe any confusing emotion of his own...

No one brought this up but I had thought about it - a staff member who DS could view as a reliable "buddy" and sounding board. It would be a nice solution, but I don't see anyone that I know of at the school taking on such a role.

Your DS and mine are cut from the same cloth. Mine has trouble discerning excitement vs. anger. Sometimes I've been excited about something and spoken to him in a loud voice, and he's concluded that I was angry. It is the weirdest thing. I put it down to my growing up in a loud, obnoxious New York family. smile I'm still getting used to the relatively laid back midwest.

BSM #223403 10/07/15 12:29 PM
    P
    P
    A friend's child was supposed to be able to ask for the assistant principal when overwhelmed. It worked when the adult in the situation allowed it but often his twin brother had to make it happen. It needs buy in or the teacher gets angry about it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM