Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by amielynn38
    Another thing, he's developed some ticks or repetitive habits from the stress of school. We are trying to work those out of his behavior since they are so new and not causing a large problem. I don't want it to become more serious.

If you are saying that he has actual tics and/or compulsions and this is a sudden, new development, consider the possibility of an infectious/immune system cause (PANS/PANDAS). (We are dealing with this with one of my kids. He was my sick premie, FWIW, with a long history of sensory issues. Now he's twelve.) If you also notice other symptoms such as dilated pupils or urinary urgency, I'd take a hard look at this possible angle. The most noted culprit is strep though there are many others.

Adding: I have a different child who also had vision issues much improved with VT when she was 6. The ed psych observed that her responses on the block design portion of the wisc would have been correct had they not been skewed. We were referred to a COVD optometrist who discovered eye tracking issues. That was about one month after a checkup with a pediatric ophthalmologist.

Last edited by snowgirl; 10/05/15 01:56 PM.
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Portia, thank you for telling me about your son. Seems you both have been through a lot. It's also hard for me to accept problems. More so for my husband. We will pursue some kind of testing, if only to rule doubts out. I hate thinking about what MIGHT BE wrong and want to move on. I glad you seem to be in a better place with your son. That gives me hope and confidence.

snowgirl, they are not tics in the traditional sense. Just habits he has developed to deal with the stress of school. Since we have been home he has cut back on the habits. I think with some down time he will relax more. I think with some testing we will know if something more is wrong. Right now I feel it was built up stress.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM