Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 254 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Originally Posted by Val
    As for the OP, I get that a young child would be upset at getting the result he didn't want, but not the part about throwing things. IMO, taking out your anger on someone else is not okay. This is what I'd focus on.
    Yes, I agree. As a fellow Hufflepuff, I am concerned about his behavior. No justice is served when we punish the innocent. As a Hufflepuff, he is too good a person to behave this way. smile

Originally Posted by Nyaanyaa
    A Hufflepuff will always stand to fight for what is right—not because it is the brave thing to do, not because it is the intelligent thing to do, not because it is the great thing to do, but because it is the right thing to do.

I'm not to sure about the "stand and fight" part, because that's what Gryffindors are known for, not Hufflepuffs. A Hufflepuff can be expected to do what's right, and to advocate for what's right, but can't be counted upon to fight for it.

Whether a Gryffindor will stand and fight for the right reasons, or for bad reasons, is entirely individual, and dependent on traits not evaluated as necessary to join Gryffindor.

Do I sound like a Ravenclaw yet?

E
    E
    Originally Posted by Tigerle
    What do I do?!
    Whatever you do, do not allow him to--EVER--take Facebook quizzes.

G
    G
    Originally Posted by Val
    I am...shocked that anyone is taking this quiz seriously (and gratified to see that not everyone is).
    I think, clearly, that OP's DS is taking it seriously, and that it's important to acknowledge this. I think that, after dealing with the throwing things part, putting things in perspective includes both "it's only an online test" and "there are absolutely terrific characters in Hufflepuff and it speaks highly of you to be 'sorted' into that House."

H
    H
    Oh my, I am sure you are not the only one to have a child overreact today. I think that this moment is probably passed, but in the moment, the person reacting that way goes to the bedroom to be away from people since that is not how we treat people.

And later, when he has calmed down, we talk about triggers and if this is what happens when you take a quiz, then maybe you don't get to use facebook, or whatever it was, for a while. Or, maybe a warning this time.

C
    C
    My son got Ravenclaw and was cool with it. He is ten though...might not have liked it three years ago.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Val
    I am...shocked that anyone is taking this quiz seriously (and gratified to see that not everyone is).

As for the OP, I get that a young child would be upset at getting the result he didn't want, but not the part about throwing things. IMO, taking out your ange on someone else is not okay. This is what I'd focus on.

Some of us have children whose first response is fight (even innocent bystanders). We are generally working on it but it requires rewiring the brain. The shortcut is to frighten the child into complaince but that doesn't teach long term management skills.

OK - before I answered this, I went and took the stupid quiz. I was sorted into Ravenclaw, and felt "pleased" about that. I know - I shouldn't care at all. But there you have it. AI (artificial intelligence) that I am brainy and wise, or whatever Ravenclaw is supposed to be, and by the way I always assumed I would have been Ravenclaw.

My point is, I'm a more or less grown woman and shouldn't give a darn. But fact is - I felt a moment of pleasure at being confirmed to be who I thought I was. I'll bet dollars to donuts that anybody being honest with themselves would be hard-pressed to deny pleasure at that sort of affirmation and dismay if denied it.

So - I say, your child is having a huge reaction, sure. Over-reaction probably. But it's because he feels his very person is denied. I would let him have the big feelings, and not try to talk him out of them. Instead, I'd just focus on (a) it's a computer test - and you'll see. You have control over your destiny and you'll be whoever you want to be. The computer is no authority here. And (b) when you have big feelings, that's OK. But throwing things is not OK. Let's work on THAT!

Originally Posted by Dude
    Originally Posted by Nyaanyaa
    A Hufflepuff will always stand to fight for what is right—not because it is the brave thing to do, not because it is the intelligent thing to do, not because it is the great thing to do, but because it is the right thing to do.

I'm not to sure about the "stand and fight" part, because that's what Gryffindors are known for, not Hufflepuffs. A Hufflepuff can be expected to do what's right, and to advocate for what's right, but can't be counted upon to fight for it.

Whether a Gryffindor will stand and fight for the right reasons, or for bad reasons, is entirely individual, and dependent on traits not evaluated as necessary to join Gryffindor.

Do I sound like a Ravenclaw yet?
    Nope. If fighting for what is right is the right thing to do, then a Hufflepuff can be counted on to fight. After all, not fighting when fighting is the right thing to do would not be the right thing to do now, would it? And you yourself wrote that a Hufflepuff can be expected to do what's right, no? smile

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by puffin
    Some of us have children whose first response is fight (even innocent bystanders). We are generally working on it but it requires rewiring the brain. The shortcut is to frighten the child into complaince but that doesn't teach long term management skills.

Not sure what you mean here. I didn't say anything about frightening a child into compliance. I said that I understood that a young child might get upset about getting the wrong result, but that I'd work on the throwing things part of the reaction --- taking your anger out on someone else is not okay.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM