Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    E
    E
    What I hear you saying, Nyaanyaa, is that by asking, "how can I get my child to accept my criticism and take it on board?", the OP is already headed away from behavior change and useful communication. You would rather that (s)he instead ask, "how can I help my child develop his/her own internal barometer of how to behave in society, including how to react to criticism (from any source) without melting down?"

Is that right, or have I missed something?

Incidentally, the "sandwich" doesn't work for squat here, either.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    Originally Posted by Nyaanyaa
    The paper contains colorfully mapped models of the brain, so it must be true.
    Best evidence ever, love this.
    Can't find the reference off-hand, but I once saw a study that found that neuroscientists found research more convincing when accompanied by color brain imaging than when imaging was black and white.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Elizabeth, correct! . . . unless I am missing something myself now that I am half asleep! (Beautiful name, by the way.)

aeh, exactly!

I just found this HBR article, which recommends using a transparent strategy when giving negative feedback, and points out some more flaws in the sandwich method. I cannot comment on the scientific rigor underlying the article since I have not looked into that.

The author may have some interest in promoting his book through the article; or he may have an interest in promoting truth through his book; or both. Who can tell anyway?

I consider it curious and worth taking a deeper look at, at the very least. I hope this is useful to you, Pinecroft! smile

https://hbr.org/2013/04/the-sandwich-approach-undermin/

T
    T
    I am a bit overwhelmed with the PEA-NEA model, just wanted to chime in tat I've got a kid,too, that appears to have no middle ground between callous obliviousness and self-immolating meltdown in his response to criticism. Of course the latter makes me feel intensely guilty (possibly part of the point?) and I need to always remind myself strongly that it is HE beating up himself, I did not do it...
    Some stuff,however, I can't let go. It helps.if I have an idea ready for how to make things right again for whomever he suddenly feels he's wronged so badly, and I better know beforehand that I can count on the person to go along (DS2 will, DD won't, for instance, and grow up family members sometimes need to be coached.
    I shall have to think about vision, an playfulness.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM