Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #223136 10/03/15 05:28 AM
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Yesterday I withdrew DS from kindergarten. I was nervous and sacred but now I feel relieved. I can do this (I think, I can)!! It's all the grumblings and unsaid words when you tell someone you are HS that get me. Makes you doubt yourself. I don't take stock in other's opinions, but they are words and you do hear them.
    I really wanted to say hello and introduce our new HS family. I will search through old posts and read as much as I can. Right now I am looking for curriculums. Or at least free things online. We do have a local HS co-op and I hope to gain admittance. It's Houston, we have lots of things for HS.

Oh, and Hello! Any suggestions or grains of knowledge?

Fields of study in order of importance (to my current best understanding):

1.a Logic
    1.b Language

2. Morality/justice

3.a Human and non-human: consciousness, emotional well-being (psychology), physical well-being (physiology, nutrition, etc.)
    3.b Natural and social sciences as relevant to 3.a

4. Strategical thinking

5. Methods of application
    5.a Relationship management
    5.b Resource management
    5.c Dietetics
    5.d Arts
    . . . and so on.

P.S. The model is work-in-progress. Extend and adjust as necessary.

Last edited by Nyaanyaa; 10/03/15 06:48 AM. Reason: correction
    I
    I
    Have you heard of Gifted Homeschooler's Forum? Great resource.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Welcome to the ride!

A few thoughts:

1. Homeschooling is first and last about the process of you and your family nurturing a whole, mature, compassionate, multidimensional human being, in charity with himself and others. Where each field of formal and informal study fits into this is highly individual.

2. Consequently, your homeschool does not have to/will not look like anyone else's homeschool. Even those of other children in your family (if you have any now or in the future).

3. It's still useful to research curricula, educational philosophies, and other people's experiences, as there's a lot of good BTDT advice to be found out there.

4. But ultimately, though it is important to listen attentively, objectively, and humbly to contrary opinions, trust your own intimate knowledge of your child, and his verbal and nonverbal feedback on educational choices and needs.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks everyone!
    I am slowly reading through the Gifted Homeschoolers Forum. I do have a few of the books they published. Read them a few months ago, great reads!
    Funny you mention the *your homeschool will not look like other's homeschool* point, I was reading blog posts about other homeschools.

My DD is 7, homeschooled for one year now. Some thoughts from my experience:

1) For us, learning divides into Basic Skills vs. Actual Content.

The Actual Content is laughably easy. Our daily conversations, reading aloud, and random finds on the internet teach her more about science, history, literature, etc. than she would ever get in school.

For basic skills, I have her do five things: math, reading, handwriting, Spanish, and piano. We probably spend about an hour a day on all of those things put together. YMMV on what basic skills you consider essential. (I am SO looking forward to the day I can drop "reading" off that list!)

2) I'm amazed at how much of the real learning happens when kids are left to their own devices. DD and her friends are writing a script for a play. They are writing it together on an iPad, spelling mistakes and all. They plan to start rehearsals soon, they're gathering costumes and props, and they intend to perform it for their families. You just can't manufacture that kind of growth experience.

3) One of the awesome parts of homeschooling is that we get to do as many "after school activities" as we want. DD does theater, dance, a nature/outdoor school, and a science program for homeschoolers. She has also tried gymnastics, archery, and rock-climbing. Again, I'm a little shocked at how much I underestimated the real learning that happens in these activities.

4) I bought a few different curricula for math, and I don't regret it even though we're not really using them, because now I have a sense of what elementary school math consists of, and I have a lot more confidence in my ability to go "off-roading." We currently use an app that's working for her. When it stops being the right fit, we'll switch to something else.

5) Your kid is still really young. I mean, really, really young. It took me nearly a year of homeschooling to appreciate this about my own kid, because she's so smart and capable of so much, and I was so stuck in the school mind-set that smarter = faster. Allow yourself to slow things down. They don't NEED to be learning any one particular thing at this age. They just need to be learning.

Hope at least something on this list is helpful! Welcome to homeschooling!

aeh #223177 10/03/15 11:36 PM
    Originally Posted by aeh
    1. Homeschooling is first and last about the process of you and your family nurturing a whole, mature, compassionate, multidimensional human being, in charity with himself and others. Where each field of formal and informal study fits into this is highly individual.
    I agree with this. The purpose of the model I have been working on is understanding arete—excellence in moral virtue—from its foundation (i.e., logic, and language for communication) to application. It is not a curriculum. I hope it can offer some guidance for determining one, however.

We've done quite a bit of homeschooling with my ODS, though he's now at school. I'd recommend going for cheap to free resources until you really know what you want, since you can spend a small fortune on things you never use.

My son has also done very well with educational computering as incentive for finishing less fun things (like writing). He loves Prodigy (math for 1st to 8th grade) at the moment but has also enjoyed Dreambox.

A
    OP Offline
    A
    So much info! Thank you all!
    I like the idea of basic life skills lessons. We will start that immediately. He is an only child, so it's hard to do the social stuff in action. I was thinking of using Superflex. Any recommendations? We are still thinking of a social skills therapy group but may not be able to afford it. Not covered on insurance. I have faith we will get there and he will be more comfortable with social cues.

Another thing, he's developed some ticks or repetitive habits from the stress of school. We are trying to work those out of his behavior since they are so new and not causing a large problem. I don't want it to become more serious.

A
    OP Offline
    A
    Portia, thank you for all this wonderful information! We do have some books similar to the Elizabeth Crary's books, we love them. They are about sharing, taking turns, being angry, etc. I did find some social skill work books at our local teacher supply store but didn't by them. Will think about it some more.

Per your DS's visual problem, the only way you knew about it was through the neuropsych testing? If I might ask, is it processing between the eyes and the brain? My son was premature, 2 months early, we aren't sure if some of his sensory issues stem from that but they might. He has had a vision test every year since he was born.

Last edited by amielynn38; 10/05/15 05:51 AM.
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM