Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    BSM #223058 10/01/15 07:14 AM
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by BSM
    After spending way too much time reading about various meds, I have concluded that any of them might work, might do nothing, or might have negative side effects including making the thing you are taking them for worse.
    It is such a crapshoot. That's why I was so excited about the DNA thing I posted in another of your threads.

I hope the new combination helps your DS. It's no wonder he's resistant to going to school when the year has been so overwhelming for him so far. I know you've said he has a therapist--I hope that person can help. We don't have the "perfectionism" piece in DS, but I have a super anxious gifted perfectionistic DD and she is WAY more difficult to manage than her brother (ironically). Is your DS open to things like affirmations, breathing exercises, etc.? It would be helpful for him to internalize that it's okay for him to struggle, it won't always be this way, one day at a time, etc. Anxiety is really treatable, but not a quick or easy road.

A scientific explanation to your DS about the neurology of anxiety might be helpful, too, since he is a logic oriented type. Beginning to identify--"oh, my limbic system is hyperaroused because the fight/flight/freeze mechanism has been activated" might help him a little. I know that sounds goofy, but it is really helpful for some people to understand what's happening to their actual physical body, and can reduce some of the anxiety that results from anxiety. If that makes sense.

There are probably good videos on YouTube or explanations of the anatomy of anxiety/panic--wonder if any of that would help. DS' therapist is educating him about "helpful vs. unhelpful worries" as part of his CBT. Helpful worries lead to positive behavioral change while unhelpful ones lead to avoidance, withdrawal, meltdown, etc. using this framework.

I think with brainy kids, sometimes you gain better access via cognition and you might get more buy-in from your DS if he understands the physiology of his experiences.

BSM #223063 10/01/15 08:30 AM
    B
    BSM Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Eco,

This is a great idea. He is resistant to discussing his anxiety and feeling, but a Youtube video might just work. He is very science oriented, though all logic and reason flies out the window when he is under stress.

We are seeing a therapist as well as the psych. Therapist appt is today and psych is next week. Too bad these meds take so long to settle in, as he needs more immediate relief.

BSM #223099 10/02/15 06:52 AM
    B
    BSM Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks Emma, we're just trying our best one day at a time. DS has been very sad lately and is regressing in age - moaning, dropping his head, falling on the floor, etc. He also hasn't been sleeping well.

We have an IEP meeting Tuesday to discuss things with the school, because the staff has not been terribly helpful with keeping him up to speed on assignments, or specifying homework.

Val #223104 10/02/15 08:55 AM
    Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by BSM
    He has been taking 10mg Prozac regularly since May, and we upped it to 20mg at the beginning of the month. We upped it because his in-school behavior was not improving. After we upped it, his behavior has been getting worse. I'm not 100% convinced it is all the fault of the Prozac, but it looks like it is not helping.

If his behavior hasn't improved at best and has deteriorated at worst, maybe you and his doctor should consider withdrawing the drug and seeing how he does.

I strongly endorse this view.

The human body is a complex system that isn't well understood, and there are many causes that can present the same sets of symptoms. Additionally, many investigative options are cost-prohibitive, and/or have the potential to cause additional issues. So, sometimes one of the best diagnostic tools available is drug therapy, through trial and observation.

In this particular case, it appears the drug has been given a thorough trial, and observation has revealed no change at a 10mg dose, and a negative effect at a 20mg dose. The data is in, and unless there are valid reasons to expect that a different SSRI may have a different result, it's time to eliminate the mechanism this class of drugs affect as a possible cause altogether, and move on to other potential causes.

This is basic science, and unfortunately, this isn't the first medical professional I've encountered who doesn't know how to (or can't be bothered to) science correctly.

Adding another drug to the mix to counteract the negative effects of the drug that's clearly not working is not an acceptable response.

Dude #223130 10/03/15 03:18 AM
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by Dude
    The data is in, and unless there are valid reasons to expect that a different SSRI may have a different result, it's time to eliminate the mechanism this class of drugs affect as a possible cause altogether, and move on to other potential causes.
    This is the unfortunate piece of the SSRI puzzle: there are valid reasons to expect that a different SSRI may have a different result, although that is not guaranteed. Mechanism of action is largely unknown. Some people who can't tolerate one have life-changing results from another.

How are things going, BSM?

B
    BSM Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    How are things going, BSM?

Okay. We have the IEP meeting Tuesday. As usual, he has a crud-ton of homework, some of it because he hasn't been in class, other is normal homework.

He is fragile and emotional, and needs us to help him through the process. One of us is sitting with him while he works for encouragement. We let him skip a shower and brushing teeth so that he could focus on homework smile

I'm seriously thinking of homeschooling. That's basically what we're doing now because the school environment with its rigid rules and forced march does not line up well with DS's learning style. He is very curious and exploratory, wanting to be thorough, which apparently is not encouraged. But until my wife is on board, homeschooling is not an option for us.

Anyway, it has been a good day so far, aside from a couple of minor outbursts when he got stressed.

As for the meds, I took him down to 10mg Prozac and we did start Abilify. Fingers crossed.

BSM #223181 10/04/15 03:53 AM
    E
    E
    Obviously, YMMV, but a word of encouragement on the medication: we attempted a very short trial of Prozac and OMG. DS did not become agitated by it, but sedated-ish. During that one week at school--he failed a science quiz and scored a 78/100 on an easy math test--and forgot multiple assignments, etc. He was in a reeeeaaaalllllly good mood (:O) but could not function. Really could not.

Two weeks later, next math test is 100%, he's even writing without too much pressure, grades are all at least 85, he's using his planner, requiring a *bit* less help (i.e. coercion) at home and just all around better.

I see you are at the "thinking of homeschooling" phase of your 2E journey. Been there, too. I understand your thinking. I hope, though, that if you ultimately make that decision, it's an empowered one v. a helpless one.

I am hoping this is your family's Year From Hell and will improve soon. I hope he find some relief with the new medication regimen. Lots of love, encouragement, support, courage, strength your way.

B
    BSM Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    I see you are at the "thinking of homeschooling" phase of your 2E journey. Been there, too. I understand your thinking. I hope, though, that if you ultimately make that decision, it's an empowered one v. a helpless one.

I am hoping this is your family's Year From Hell and will improve soon. I hope he find some relief with the new medication regimen. Lots of love, encouragement, support, courage, strength your way.

My wife used to be a teacher, and I'm pretty good at math, history, and writing. We could do it. She is the more rational one and is waiting to see if changing up the IEP is going to work. But DS is refusing to do work in class for some teachers, and the school is starting to look at this as a punishable offense, rather than a cry for help.

DS is a *very* enthusiastic learner given the right environment and right approach. I don't want the public schools to destroy his enthusiasm.

Thanks for the support! We really need it. We're two exhausted parents on most days. I feel like I need infinite patience to get from morning to night.

But let me give you an example of what a great and observant kid DS12 can be, despite ASD, anxiety, etc. This was a dialog from yesterday:

DS: "Why are you tucking your shirt into your shorts?"
    Me: "Because I'm going biking and it is cold out."
    DS: "It looks wrong."
    Me: "Biking is not a fashion contest."
    DS: "You'll never get a woman that way."
    Me: "In case you didn't notice, I got your mom a long time ago."
    DS: "I'll bet you didn't tuck your shirt into your shorts back then."

smile

BSM #223186 10/04/15 05:46 AM
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by BSM
    DS: "Why are you tucking your shirt into your shorts?"
    Me: "Because I'm going biking and it is cold out."
    DS: "It looks wrong."
    Me: "Biking is not a fashion contest."
    DS: "You'll never get a woman that way."
    Me: "In case you didn't notice, I got your mom a long time ago."
    DS: "I'll bet you didn't tuck your shirt into your shorts back then."
    smile
    This made my day. smile

FWIW, I'm so not anti-homeschool. If DS would have considered it, we'd probably doing that right now, for now.

Last edited by eco21268; 10/04/15 05:46 AM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM