Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 324 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    Update: I did receive an email in response to my question about Notice of Action.

He is not suspected of having a disability under IDEA because:

* Current grades - 4 As and 2 Bs
    * Input from current teachers - Some specific input includes the following:
    * a good student who works hard
    * is very bright
    * performance exceeds that of most other student in the class
    * has very high potential
    * remarks in class are well thought out
    * State and district assessment scores
    * Our school psychologist reviewed the 5/12/15 Neuropsychological Evaluation.

Okay, I really do get the rationale. Except for the part we he is only 1/4 of the way through the year, and the NP report is pretty clear about how bad things *can* get.

The good news: I only have to over-function for another three quarters. I can do this, although I may have to take steroids. DS' health is looking pretty good, but I'm losing weight and sleep and having flare of chronic health condition.

We're not playing "shouldas" here. But you shouldn't have to fight and flail behind the scenes to help DS function. He needs to learn the skills to do it without wearing an adult helper into the ground.

Their reasons are bogus. An IEP isn't about how smart the child is; it's about developing academic and functional skills that should be there, but aren't. Here we are talking about functional skills.

Can you talk to the person who manages the program and see if in light of new diagnostic information they can reconsider the probation and work toward teaching him what he needs?

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    We're not playing "shouldas" here. But you shouldn't have to fight and flail behind the scenes to help DS function. He needs to learn the skills to do it without wearing an adult helper into the ground.

Their reasons are bogus. An IEP isn't about how smart the child is; it's about developing academic and functional skills that should be there, but aren't. Here we are talking about functional skills.

Can you talk to the person who manages the program and see if in light of new diagnostic information they can reconsider the probation and work toward teaching him what he needs?
    I know you are right, Dee Dee. And maybe I can become more of an activist once I've moved DS through the program. Nothing I've done has been well-received so far, which makes me think that either I'm absolutely HORRIBLE at this, or they are intractable.

He does seem to be making a little progress. I'm doing some kind of unorthodox things (not *that* bad, but things like sending text reminders during the day "don't forget your horn, be sure to stop by Mrs. X class, etc.") Things that aren't perfect but are working a little bit.

He's made a huge leap in terms of: filling out planner (yay!), completing work (yay!), and even turning in some of it without scanning/email.

For second quarter, I'm hiring study skills tutor/after school helper and getting SLP eval (and possible services).

I know it shouldn't be like this but it is...not forever. Once he's out of this MS program there are much more creative options. I think.

B
    BSM Offline
    B
    Can you document all that you're doing to keep him on track and provide this as evidence that he has a disability that requires an IEP? You shouldn't have to let him fail for the school to see that there is a problem.

Maybe provide a log of one week of your life? That has to have some value, I would think.

We do a lot at home with our 12yo who is on an IEP. Without us to explain assignments to him, he wouldn't be able to do them. But once he understand them, he does fine.

And take care of yourself too. You need to be on your game in order to be the best advocate for your kids. Easier said than done, I know...

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by BSM
    Can you document all that you're doing to keep him on track and provide this as evidence that he has a disability that requires an IEP? You shouldn't have to let him fail for the school to see that there is a problem.

Maybe provide a log of one week of your life? That has to have some value, I would think.

We do a lot at home with our 12yo who is on an IEP. Without us to explain assignments to him, he wouldn't be able to do them. But once he understand them, he does fine.
    Here's the deal: I think I'd have to let him fail and even then they would say they don't have to evaluate him because he isn't placed at grade level. So then I could let him go to regular MS, and let him fail there, too (he would, without medication and all the stuff I do at home). So, realistically, he'd be halfway through his eighth grade year before receiving any services--IF they decided to evaluate him at all. They might not--because MS is at the "social pass" level and his state test scores are high.

I think they have me over a barrel and know it. Even when I push about the 504, the response was, basically--should he really be in this program, then?

See? It's kind of icky.

I can either over function and suffer or allow my son to fail and suffer. Nice, huh?

Honestly, though, this is hella better than last year, at any rate.

B
    BSM Offline
    B
    Ironically, if you have a kid like mine who displays disruptive behavior in class, you'll get a lot of attention. Not the good kind of attention, but at least they take notice. Your son seems to quietly suffer, which seems to be worse in some ways.

Two different challenges, and two different poor responses from respective schools.

But the 504 / IEP question is completely separate from whether he is gifted. I think they are messing with you in that regard.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by BSM
    Ironically, if you have a kid like mine who displays disruptive behavior in class, you'll get a lot of attention. Not the good kind of attention, but at least they take notice. Your son seems to quietly suffer, which seems to be worse in some ways.

Two different challenges, and two different poor responses from respective schools.

But the 504 / IEP question is completely separate from whether he is gifted. I think they are messing with you in that regard.
    He wasn't so quiet last year--even had a suspension (The X-Acto Knife Incident), and was verbally/emotionally abused by one teacher (documented). I guess last year is "off the table" as far as SPED is concerned, even though program coordinator and school counselor both encouraged me to seek neuropsychological testing.

He could go to once a week pull-out for gifted if he was in regular MS. The problem is that it isn't graded and isn't acceleration, which he is evidently capable of (in some respects).

Yes, it's baloney that when he does well he isn't served but if he doesn't, they just want to boot him.

I don't envy the meltdowns, BSM, but you're right that at *least* they will want to do something to help, in that case.

None of this is a lot of fun, but I guess nobody ever said this parenting thing would be, right?

I really don't feel too bad about it any more. I know I've tried to the best of my ability and I'm pretty sure the district isn't doing the right thing. Even if my communication has been clunky.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    He does seem to be making a little progress. I'm doing some kind of unorthodox things (not *that* bad, but things like sending text reminders during the day "don't forget your horn, be sure to stop by Mrs. X class, etc.") Things that aren't perfect but are working a little bit.
    This isn't that unorthodox. I know many parents who text there kids multiple times a day to remind them of things. Of course that is then what the media labels as 'helicoptering' wink but in your case it's simply what you need to do to get your child to function.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    That isn't that unorthodox. I know many parents who text there kids multiple times a day to remind them of things. Of course that is then what the media labels as 'helicoptering' wink but in your case it's simply what you need to do to get your child to function.
    Thank you for that! I never wanted to hover--so funny, as smart as DS is, I always thought school would be the easy part! I'm sure all the 2E parents understand that.

He's really good right now, comparatively. I guess I'm mostly worn out with being his executive function. But am seeing progress.

B
    B
    We got the same bogus reasons for why DD did not qualify for any services (but at least they did an evaluation--the eval was a piece of crap but at least they went through the motions.) Basically it boiled down to the fact that she was being given advanced work, and you don't give special services to a student who is operating above grade level in terms of reading and math (because that's what the state tests). If she is unfocused or asleep 75 percent of time in class it doesn't matter as long as she can pass the tests. We got out of the toxic place, and current school states they are writing an IEP--I'll believe it when I see it.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM