Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    DD10 has read and re-read the Horrible Histories/Science books for years. She needs some books to replace these now she's a bit older. Any ideas? She finds basic history books "too boring". She says she gets fed up with the "so and so was born in ___ and died in ___." Of course that is why the HH books are good because it's all about the gross facts! She also likes the HH series because of the fun graphics.
    Thanks!

C
    C
    What about you wouldn't want to be books...

You wouldn't want to be a Roman gladiator.

....Egyptian mummy
    ...polar explorer
    Sail on the whaling ship Essex

I shelved them last year in the library as a volunteer...no clue about level other than they were at least third grade reading level...not sure of content difficulty but the cover on the Roman one says...."and other gross stuff"

B
    B

G
    OP Offline
    G
    I probably should have stated a reading level. Perhaps 8th now? 9th? She's only 10 though so the emotional stuff from older kids' stuff goes right over her head. She's in 6th grade.
    As soon as I get back from volunteering I will check out the ones listed so far. Thanks!!!!!!! Keep on sending ideas!!

C
    C
    Some are pretty short, but DS9 has enjoyed some of the biographies by Kathryn Lasky recently and asked for more!

M
    M
    I don't have any suggestions, but I had to say thanks for the Horrible Histories mention. I never heard of these and ordered the set -- DS7 loves them!

B
    B
    DS is currently reading "Guts and Glory" about the Civil War. There is also one about the Vikings.

I was thinking about getting him this book, which he'd probably eat up, but he would probably want to take it to school and I don't know what an elementary teacher would say about him having a book with "BADASS" plastered across the front. Plus from the reviews, it sounds like the language inside is pretty bad. Oh well, maybe in about 5 years it will work.

http://www.amazon.com/Badass-Deathm...F8&qid=1445694808&sr=1-2&keywords=badass

L
    L
    I am not familiar with hh books. But a couple years ago, I found the Story of the World volumes 1-4 with activity books at a homeschoolers garage sale for a deal. The new books are a little expensive. Anyway, I have been reading volume 1, ancient times, to my dd6 and she can't get enough. It is an interesting read and even I enjoy reading it.

B
    B
    DS likes those Story of the World books as well. I don't know how historically accurate they are, but at least they give a nice overview.

D
    D
    The Larry Gonick "Cartoon Guides" are very interesting, but preview for content.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM