Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #222705 09/22/15 01:35 PM
    A
    Amlac Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Have there been any percentile charts or grade level comparisons for this test? It is the new common core computer based test that is supposed to be used in all states soon. DS took it as a third grader and I just got his score and it is a 2621 on math, which seems to be as high as it goes. I have no idea what this means other than he did well.

Does anyone have any insight?

Amlac #222783 09/23/15 07:02 PM
    A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    This is the preliminary benchmarking document released last fall. There should be revisions coming out shortly, based on this past spring's round of testing:

http://www.smarterbalanced.org/news...prove-achievement-level-recommendations/

ETA: Looks your DS scored at or above the threshold for 6th grade level 4 (advanced/top tier in most state-wide testing systems).

Updated link: http://www.smarterbalanced.org/assessments/scores/

Last edited by aeh; 08/11/16 10:11 AM. Reason: revising link

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Amlac #222792 09/24/15 08:37 AM
    A
    Amlac Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thank you! This is the sort of thing I was looking for.

Amlac #222832 09/24/15 06:30 PM
    A
    A
    I asked the same question somewhere else last week when we got DD's results.

Here's are a couple other BASC-related documents of interest:
    http://nh.portal.airast.org/wp-cont...anced-Achievement-Level-Scale-Scores.pdf
    http://www.edweek.org/media/interpretation-and-use-of-scores-achievement-levels-final.pdf

Taken together, my interpretation is that if the scores are equivalent between levels, my 3rd grader was ready for college last spring according to the SBAC. LOL. Do you think she needs to take algebra or learn to write a 5-paragraph essay before I ship her off? grin wink

Last edited by Aufilia; 09/24/15 06:32 PM.
    Amlac #222864 09/25/15 12:01 PM
    G
    G
    I am looking at the report of SBAC taken by my child as a 5th grader. It says he got 2701 in ELA and 2700 in Math. Below his score bar is a range of 2582 - 2701 for ELA and 2579 - 2700 for Math which are labeled as 'Standard Exceeded'. There are other ranges to the left for 'Standard Met', 'Standard Nearly Met' and 'Standard not met'.

It looks like he may have hit the ceiling in both subjects for his grade level. Amlac's son also seems to have hit the ceiling. I am wondering - how would they test for kids who need some kind of "extended norm" to see how far their understanding of the subjects go? Would love some feedback on this.

Thank you!

Amlac #222876 09/26/15 06:54 AM
    J
    J
    We haven't gotten our SBAC test results- we are in California. When do they come?

Amlac #222888 09/26/15 12:08 PM
    G
    G
    Jack'smom, we are in California too. We got the results in the mail earlier this week.

jack'smom #222906 09/26/15 04:31 PM
    HID Offline
    We're in California too. It might depend on our district,but my DD's principal said they will be mailed out on October 9th. The school already has them and will be giving them to the teachers. I'm not sure why it's taking so long for the parents to get them

Amlac #222907 09/26/15 06:17 PM
    C
    C
    Most districts in CA just got the results in the last week. Also, California chose not to make the test fully adaptive. You cannot compare the scores across grade level or determine your child's level of achievement at a higher grade based on the SBAC scores. All you will know is if they met or exceeded the standard of the current grade level. In this case, exceeded means they got most of the beginning questions correct for the next grade. It does not go beyond that.

CAMom #222909 09/27/15 12:17 PM
    HID Offline
    Originally Posted by CAMom
    Also, California chose not to make the test fully adaptive.

Where can I find more information on this. It seems pointless to use this test if you don't use it's full capacity. We're no better off than with the CSTs.

Amlac #222910 09/27/15 02:36 PM
    A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    This webpage suggests that the tests were at least somewhat adaptive:
    http://www.caaspp.org/about/smarter-balanced/

The bottom of this webpage suggests a reason for not using the test to capacity this year:
    http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/sa/sbcommonqa.asp

"This year’s results will establish a new baseline for the progress we expect students to make over time."

Amlac #222912 09/27/15 04:59 PM
    C
    C
    I'm a school principal and it was said repeatedly by Pearson in several statewide training meetings. Pearson blamed CDE for not making the tests adaptive. This is important because, unlike with NWEA MAP, the scores are not comparative across grade levels nor can you use them to determine a child's level of achievement beyond the current grade level.

What is adaptive about the test? If you get a question wrong, the test will drop down to an easier question. But it will not go below grade level or above grade level by more than a few questions. It definitely does NOT go a full grade level or more beyond the grade level set in the test for the student.

Further, the Performance Tasks are different for each grade level and require a classroom activity in advance. The test scoring is heavily weighted on the Performance Task and this is *not* adaptive and does *not* allow access to any above or below grade materials.

Based on all the meetings I've been in, I believe CA was petrified that if they made the test fully adaptive, they'd have to say "We have X number of 7th graders performing at a 2nd grad level." It's better to not quantify that... I guess....

Last edited by CAMom; 09/27/15 05:02 PM.
    CAMom #222913 09/27/15 05:10 PM
    C
    C
    "Every spring, students in grades three through eight and grade eleven take the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments for ELA and mathematics. Results from these assessments are just one piece of information to helpteachers, parents/guardians, and
    students understand how well a student is meeting the grade-level standards." (emphasis is mine)

http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/ca/documents/sbparentgde68.pdf

Amlac #222919 09/27/15 08:30 PM
    G
    G

Thank you for the clarification and detailed information.

It is disappointing that the SBAC scores don't scale to evaluate the extend of a student's knowledge/understanding. I was hoping scalability would be part of the change from STAR testing. For students working below proficiency too it is a disservice to lose this opportunity to understand the magnitude of their challenge. How can our education system provide appropriate remedial action without appropriate evaluation? Perhaps I am missing something?

Is there a way for parents to have a say in this decision to be fully adaptive at least for the 2016 SBAC?

Amlac #239479 08/14/17 06:27 PM
    God bless this forum! I just got DS9's scores for the bloody third grade smarter balanced test, and was trying to understand what the "maximum" score meant for math, and I didn't even search Davidson - I was just generally searching the internets - and of course I find another poster HERE with an identical score and identical question - what does the "maximum" mean? Anyway - why do I look for information elsewhere, anyway? You are our peeps.

Amlac #239480 08/14/17 09:36 PM
    A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    In the updated (9/2016) FAQ, it states that adaptive testing now may range up to +/- 2 grade levels from the nominal grade, but only for a limited pool of items. Still targets grade-level skills, though.

http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/sa/sbcommonqa.asp

Amlac #239483 08/15/17 12:49 PM
    Thanks, aeh. We were told it was adaptive, but I'm not surprised the "adaptation" is pretty limited. I was just amused to see DS's score in light of his teacher's sole academic comment about DS, that he "won't even attempt difficult math problems." Well, I don't know about that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM